Switching from triple chainring setup to double.

lornt78
lornt78 Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thinking about changing from a 22/32/44t triple chainring setup to a double chainring setup with a bashguard instead of an outer ring, and change the inner and middle chainrings for bigger ones.

I set about trying to choose what chainring sizes would be best. I made a chart displaying all the possible gear ratios for a 11-32t cassette vs. a variety of chainring sizes:

ratios.png

The chart shows the existing 22,32,44t setup in grey, and the 26/38t setup I am considering in yellow.

You can easily see that the existing setup gives a range of ratios from 1.45 to 0.25, whereas the double chainring setup will give a smaller maximum range of 1.23 to 0.29.

Here's another amazing chart:

chart.png

The tricky part is deciding on the best compromise between having a large range of ratios and optimal chainline. The 26/38t setup will give me the equivalent of the 22/32/44t setup minus only the one slowest and one fastest gears. The chainline will only be really poor in the two fastest gears, which I use little.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    38/28 with a 11-34
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which gears do you use most and least now?

On a stock triple I never used the granny ring (22T) and generally climbed in 32:34, only rarely did I use the big ring, so settled on 36 for my larger and initially 22 for the inner but now have a 26.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kagefisk
    kagefisk Posts: 74
    I'm using a 2x9 setup - 11-34 + 24/36 (you'd want to use a 11-34 for a double setup). I can't even remember when i last used the small ring (a year ago?). I'm thinking of going 1x10 - 11-36 cassette and a single chain ring between 36 and 38.