curious about single speed MTB's

mikeouk
mikeouk Posts: 148
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I understand why some people use single speed road bikes for commuting or for a more intense work out, but Im not understanding single speed mountain bikes. Maybe its because I live near the lake district and cant begin to imagine riding most of the trails here on a single speed.
Do people who own a single speed mtb actually use it for serious off road riding? Im not knocking it, just curious to hear from owners of such bikes, how they use them.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes. It is simpler and more of a challenge. But you will never get anywhere fast.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I use my Kula SS (see sig) round Whinlatter, its great! I'm climbing way, way quicker now and I wasn't exactly slow to start with. Also I'm a lot smoother coming down, less braking- can't just power out of a corner when the gearing just isn't there. I've done Keswick to Skiddaw house to Mungrisdale too, only had to walk one hill and road sections are a bit slow but that just means you notice more stuff..

As Nick says it makes for more of a challenge, and less bike to clean when you get back.

Some people get it some don't,at the moment I'm really enjoying it..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • mikeouk
    mikeouk Posts: 148
    I use my Kula SS (see sig) round Whinlatter, its great! I'm climbing way, way quicker now and I wasn't exactly slow to start with. Also I'm a lot smoother coming down, less braking- can't just power out of a corner when the gearing just isn't there. I've done Keswick to Skiddaw house to Mungrisdale too, only had to walk one hill and road sections are a bit slow but that just means you notice more stuff..

As Nick says it makes for more of a challenge, and less bike to clean when you get back.

Some people get it some don't,at the moment I'm really enjoying it..

thats hardcore :shock:
    cool looking bike, so whats the gearing on it?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My mate has only the middle ring on the front and 9spd cassette. It already seems like too much hard work going uphill! Granny ring comes in useful far too often!
  • snotty badger
    32:18 at the moment, but might change to a 17t or 16t sprocket.

My first outing round Whinlatter on my DMR was hardwork, I had to stand for the entire fire road and was seeing stars too! It's surprising how quick it improves fitness, I can blast that climb now. Made me feel that gears make me lazy, I'd of selected something easy on my Pitch and just spin up.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I run my hardtail singlespeed & rigid in the winter. I still ride everything I ride in the summer. A bit slower & I have to push some climbs bit it is fun in a strange kind of way. Climbs take commitment, you have to attack them from the bottom or fail.
    Some of the fastest riders who come on our club night rides are on single speed, I can't get anywhere near keeping up even with gears.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I love the fact that a SS turns an easy ride into a challenge. I am not into epic mountain rides SS thats what my Canyon Nerve with 18 gears is for. Blasting my local trails on short sharp rides that leave me gasping unable to talk and seeing stars is what its for, or with a slick back tyre and the fork locked rides down back roads and canal towpaths to work or the pub.

Its not better than gears its different but just the same its cycling.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    stubs wrote:
    I love the fact that a SS turns an easy ride into a challenge. I am not into epic mountain rides SS thats what my Canyon Nerve with 18 gears is for. Blasting my local trails on short sharp rides that leave me gasping unable to talk and seeing stars is what its for,
    Imagine how much more of a workout you'd have on your canyon, by sticking to the very highest gear, then.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 98
    Interesting thread.... always thought it was just a bravado thing.

Hats off to you.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I ride my ss simply because of the simplicity of it in town. I have thought of joining onto some of the longer rides that our local CC does, but since i'm on a SS mtb I don't really fancy getting dropped too quick, although I think I would manage. I have noticed some weight loss since switching to SS, but that is probably down to just riding regularly and not eating too much, although I do attack all the "hills", i.e. the bridges, in Cambridge quite hard.

I really want a new bike though with a bit more gear choice, although I won't be selling the ss to get it!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you all want a challenge, get an 80mm XC bike ;-)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I might just do that
  • I built mine up (rigid 69-er Sanderson Life SS) as a low maintenance winter bike... my local trails (Dark Peak) eat components and the SS is a great solution... saying that though, it gets summer outings too as, for an hour or two evening blast, it's great fun and a brilliant workout. It's definitely made me a stronger and faster rider and makes you realise you don't have to dump down the block to get up climbs. I run 32:18 and it surprises me what you can get up but as a previous poster says you do have to 100% and be aggressive. As well as my local trails, I've also had a blast round the Red/Black at Llandegla on it (all rideable) and a fairly challenging but fun bimble round the Beast at CYB.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    I love the fact that a SS turns an easy ride into a challenge. I am not into epic mountain rides SS thats what my Canyon Nerve with 18 gears is for. Blasting my local trails on short sharp rides that leave me gasping unable to talk and seeing stars is what its for,
    Imagine how much more of a workout you'd have on your canyon, by sticking to the very highest gear, then.

The Canyon is for big rides. The ones you plan on google earth, text or facebook your mates about the night before, check the bike out, pack a rucksack and wear cycling gear. The SS is for looking out the window deciding to go for a ride dragging it out of the shed sticking a helmet on my bonce and jumping aboard. The SS is as near to zero maintenance as your going to get with a bike and I dont wear out my expensive sticky knobblies on tarmac and cycle paths.

Not saying either is better just saying they are different but equally good fun.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The point I was trying to make, is that you can stick a geared bike in a very high gear, and push yourself even more than on a singlespeed.
    Think of all those times where you're not struggling on the ss, well, with a geared bike you could turn those into a lung bursting workout.
  • snotty badger
    It's too easy to wuss out and go for the easy gears though!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Only if you're a wuss.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or sensible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Long as youre having fun who cares if its slower, no ones actually getting timed on a ride out anyway!
  • snotty badger
    Only if you're a wuss.

Can't be helped, its a well known fact that gears make you soft.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Except fot the fact that geared riders can push themselves anywhere, on any ground, up down or across. :wink:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Except fot the fact that geared riders can push themselves anywhere, on any ground, up down or across. :wink:
    So can SS riders. It is easy. Get off and push. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • This weekends Mountain Mayhem was a great example of when Single-Speed is the way to go.. I've never seen so many ripped rear mechs and terminal chain suck cases.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Interesting - what won?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    supersonic wrote:
    Interesting - what won?

a few years ago a man on a fixed gear drop bar bike won*, now that was hardcore

* no, not really
  • supersonic wrote:
    Interesting - what won?

teams who were having their bikes cleaned, stripped and re-built after every lap.. not really an option for mortals.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    Interesting - what won?

teams who were having their bikes cleaned, stripped and re-built after every lap.. not really an option for mortals.
    What does all this mean?
    This is more intruiging than the Da Vinci cod.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think he means the best riders won.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    supersonic wrote:
    Interesting - what won?

What does all this mean?
    This is more intruiging than the Da Vinci cod.
    now that was a fishy story