New to road cycling

GriffoXC
GriffoXC Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hello all!

I have finally decided to get myself a road bike, having ridden mtb for quite a few years I am a bit out of touch with road machines!

As its going to be my first road bike which I shall use for the weekly commute and weekend hack I won't be looking for top end specs, and also I havent got the money! :shock:

After looking over the net this week I have found a few which I like:

Specialized Allez 16
Giant Defy 5
b'Twin Triban 3

All three seem to share similar gear, there is quite a price difference between the first two and the triban 3, I am guessing this is because Decathlon is not as bigger brand name as Specialized or Giant.

So for a simple first road bike I think they tick the boxes, are there any others which I have missed and should have a look at?
My budget really can't stretch more than £750

Cheers! :)

Comments

• ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Quite a few bikes fall within budget and the three you've selected are all ok to get you onto your roadie journey.

Others to look at include Boardman, Cube, Kinesis and Cannondale.

Some great offers on now as this years bikes come to be replaced with next years models (mostly a colour scheme change) so worth scouring the ads in the magazines and following up on the Internet. Have you considered second hand? Some great lightly used bikes and your budget would get you a carbon framed bike with Shimano 105 groupset or a high end aluminium bike with better components and wheels such as a Cannondale CAAD 10.

Good luck with your search.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • GriffoXC
    To be honest I haven't even thought of looking for a secondhand bike, I should probably do that!

Thanks!
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Check out the Deals Of The Week For Road Bikes, theres usually one in there that harmonizes with your budget.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Also try JE James Cycles / Pauls Cycles / Rutland Cycles / Triton Cycles for new but previous-year models.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • daveyroids
    daveyroids Posts: 223
    Just an idea. Someone may be selling a bike one of your local road clubs. Most clubs now have Facebook pages or forums where you can ask around. Also you may end up joining!
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Hi
    I too have recently got back into road cycling with a Triban 3 having ridden MTB for years both hard tail and full suss.
    You have set a budget which makes sense, I too didn't want to spend too much on a road bike as my needs I guess are similar to yours i.e. commute and hacking about. I've spent enough on MTBs over the years to keep anyone in business :oops:

My choice was the Triban because of budget, spec and ride/fit. The Decathlon guy was really helpful. After I had bought the bike, he explained that their markup was minimal compared to some other companies, he used to be a Specialized mechanic, and that is one way that they keep the costs down.
    Just check the spec and build quality and you have your answer.

I am extremely happy with the Triban, bear in mind that I am VERY picky about my MTBs particularly my blinged-up Heckler.

I don't know enough about more expensive road bikes but I do recognise a very good deal (bargain) when I see one (I am Scottish after all and don't like parting with cash too much) and my advice would be go for the Triban if you want a top deal.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • daveyroids
    Looked at the Decathlon website and the Triban looks to be a good offer. I was in Edinburgh cycles over the weekend looking at their Continental road bike for around £450. The Triban 3 for £299 seems a good bargain in comparison. Mind the drawback is the weight around 24.5lbs. but for £300 and if its mainly for commuting that's ok.

Can the Triban take guards.
  • daveyroids
    Just seen the Triban 5. That looks like a very good bike. £499 its cheaper than the Specialized and the Giant, has a better groupset (Sora) and weighs around 22lbs. Think if my budget was £750 I would go for the Triban 5.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    If my budget was £750 I would push an extra £50 and go for a Giant Defy 2 or Cube Peleton Pro. Both come with the Tiagra groupset. Also if you buy from ashcycles.co.uk at the moment you get 15% (£120)free accesories with the Defy 2.

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-def ... 0cf5381727
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    don't forget you will need some extra components and probably clothes - I would leave £200 spare for those items (maybe less).
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    + 1 for Ash cycles very good to deal with.
    Turned out nice again!
  • nickbuchan
    nickbuchan Posts: 26
    How about the Felt Z85 from Winstanleys? £720 gets you a 2012 model with Alu frame, carbon fork and 105 where it matters.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    sagefly wrote:
    + 1 for Ash cycles very good to deal with.
    Interesting. From their website - and the fact that their shop's shutters don't ever seem to open - I've always thought they look a bit shady, but appearances can be deceptive!
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • daveyroids
    jonomc4 wrote:
    don't forget you will need some extra components and probably clothes - I would leave £200 spare for those items (maybe less).
    That was my thought of only spending £500. Guards (I know not everyone uses them for commute but I think they are essential), Lights, pedals and spare tubes. But may be able to get all that with the offer from ash cycles.
  • GriffoXC
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

Unfortunately I still haven't got round to buying a bike yet, car MOT + Service proved more expensive than I thought!

Hopefully i can have a proper look this month!
  • GriffoXC
    I'm looking at Specialized Langsters, seem quite a nice bike.

I quite like the idea of a single speed :)
  • B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    Do you work for an employer in the Cycle to Work scheme? If so you could be looking around the £1000 mark and still only pay £700 to £800 (and the payments come direct out of your wages monthly)

Don't be afraid of secondhand either - granted you have to do a bit of research and perhaps get a little bit lucky, but I did. Ended up with a Ribble frame, Shimano 105 complete system, Mavic wheels, ITM fork for just over £290 a couple of years ago from a nice gent who had given up the roadie because his knees couldn't take it anymore.
    There IS a lot of dross and overpriced tat out there, but I'm sure the more experienced people on here will help out. There are some gems out there.