Shimano 105 pedals vrs Look

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Posts: 64
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
What are the pros and cons with these pedals?

Thanks

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Which pair of Look pedals?

or are you looking for shimano vs look in general?
  • Just the regular classic Look's
  • Bump
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I guess the OP means regular plastic Keo's.

The difference will primarily be weight vs durability, the Looks are as light as you're going to get at the money & the 105s 20% more (so not that much...) In theory the Shimano alloy body should be more durable, but then I've had a pair of Keo's on for a year & they're not showing the first sign of wear, so unless you're hard on/careless with gear then it's probably not an issue.

The Keo's look a bit cheap I suppose, if that's an issue.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I have Shimano SPD SLand I've heard that other cleats are harder to walk in - again, you may not care but it may be a factor for you.
  • benhben
    benhben Posts: 71
    I recently swapped from Shimano 105 SPD's to Exaustar (spelling) look replicas. Much lighter and I find them far easier to clip into that the 105's, which is usefull at traffic lights on hills etc.
  • _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    i have been using the keo classics for about 4 years, the pedals themselves have been very good surviving several crashes but still performing admirably, easy to clip into, the springs are still tight and the bearings good. my only criticism would be that the cleats ( genuine look ones ) seem to wear down very quickly at the front due to walking on a concrete path from my house to my shed to get the bike ( distance of about 20 yards ). when they wear it weakens the front of the cleat and twice now i have had the cleat snap whilst out on the road. The last set only lasted about 10 months before they needed replacing again. I also find the cleats a bit difficult to walk in but havent tried the 105 ones for comparison.