Brake advice needed

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Just about to order a set of slx m666 brakes as my current juicy 3's are pants and to be frank I'm fed up of them!

Question is this, what adapters do I need if the ones currently on my Pike 409's don't transfer over? Also can I use the current rotors or should I get new ones?

If for example I wanted bigger rotors, which will improve stopping power even more so presumably, can I do this?

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What adapters do the brakes come with? What size rotors are you using?

Is just a case of matching the adaptor to the caliper type (usually PM), the fork and frame type (IS or PM) and the size of the rotor.

Lots of adaptors to do it - find out what you want then take it from there.
  • bwstokie
    bwstokie Posts: 115
    No adaptors with the brake, presumably buy separately, 180mm front, 160mm rear and post mount. The bikes a Marin Wolf Ridge if that helps?

I'm one of those people who like to get all the bits in one go and gets excited when something new arrives as I want to tinker straight away lol.

Should be getting them from bike-discounts.de as seem the cheapest place. Got a Reverb recently for a brill price
    and delivery was dead quick!

Cheers

Lee
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    The Juicy 3s are a post mount caliper, the same as the Shimano brakes.
    So, take off your current callipers, whack on the new ones, and you're good to go.
    Remember that you need to get rid of the wonky tri-align washer things from the Avid callipers, they won't be needed any more.
    If you want to get a bigger disc, you'll need to buy the appropriate adapter to match, but, since the M666 is such a profoundly powerful brake compared to the Juicy 3s, you may find that the stock 180mm front rotor will be fine anyway.
  • monkey_man_1
    monkey_man_1 Posts: 108
    the only problem i see which knowone else has mentioned is the fact avids use 185mm rototr and shimano 180mm? well thats what mine were using anyway! ive kept the avid mount but also had to keep some of the washers to stop the caliper hitting the larger disc. still works fine and is solid.