Trek 2.3 vrs

Green Lantern
Green Lantern Posts: 64
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I am looking at buying a Trek 2.3. I am not sure if it makes too much difference when compared to other bikes as different company's it seems are priced very competitivley. I have a Puch (Ultralia Damiler) bike that I purchased in the 1980's that has a Reynolds 535 frame and fork. I have upgraded components on the bike over the years. Campy Super Record Crank, Record front derail, Shimano SIS shifters and rear derail., Campy Chorus brakes and pedals with cages. I don't race anymore and I still enjoy riding. Though there is nothing wrong with the bike, I just feel I want to get a newer and more modern bike.

Do you think I will notice much of an improvement with a bike like a Trek 2.3? My spending limit is $2,000 and it seems with getting either Look or Shimano 105 pedals on a 2.3 that is about it. Bike Line is one of the few higher end bikes in my area, and this bike seems to be once of the better choices. The one thing I am disappointed with the 2.3 is it has Shimano 105 group except the crank which is a lower grade Shimano part. So I am looking at upgrading the crank to a 105 crank. The bike store will only charge me for the difference in price as the parts on the bike are brand new. Thinking about it more, I am now thinking about getting a Ultegra crank and rear derail. I am sure the 105 is just fine, but in my head I will be thinking about the UItegra. I really want Camp Athena parts but then I would have to find a store that sells a bike with Athena parts. What are your thoughts on my situation?