Chamois cream.... Again

Mickyg88
Mickyg88 Posts: 289
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Just a thought, has anyone tried the Body Shop body butter in place of the usual assos etc., seems a better buy IF it does the job, although its not sold as a cycling product it seemed ok when I tried some on my hands in the shop,

Comments

• Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    I think it's more the case of how easily it will wash out your shorts.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    My god, how much do you people smear about? :shock: There's something wrong with the pad if you need to soak it with cream, IMO. Cream is useful for stopping skin-on-skin chafing, but pad-on-skin chafing just shouldn't happen with the right shorts. Maybe it's just my own experience :?
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Corect :o
    My god, how much do you people smear about? :shock: There's something wrong with the pad if you need to soak it with cream, IMO. Cream is useful for stopping skin-on-skin chafing, but pad-on-skin chafing just shouldn't happen with the right shorts. Maybe it's just my own experience :?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

it can if you're really sweating a lot
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    I have taken to using "Udderly Smooth" Chamois cream, much more cost effective than the traditional bike brands and very effective.

D :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I don't care what anyone says, I like Assos :D
    (especially as it tingles on my ass)
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    MattC59 wrote:

Only for the tingle obviously!! :wink:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    MattC59 wrote:

Only for the tingle obviously!! :wink:

hmmmmmm................. pretty much :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437

I'm not sure how old you are but as you get older things go south and as such can get in the way, for me Assos cream stops problems arising, I wear Assos Mille & S5 shorts and also Vitesse which I consider better and I do about 7500-8000 miles a year, how many are you doing and how old are you?
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    About 5-6000 miles at 33, I don't have many 'age-related' issues. Just seems to me that more is not better - I've read accounts of chamois cream being smeared all over the pad, as if the pad is being made from chamois leather! To be honest all my chafing issues were sorted when I changed to a harder, narrower saddle, and shorts with a thinner, better pad. My initial comment may have been a bit over the top ;-)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    About 5-6000 miles at 33, I don't have many 'age-related' issues. Just seems to me that more is not better - I've read accounts of chamois cream being smeared all over the pad, as if the pad is being made from chamois leather! To be honest all my chafing issues were sorted when I changed to a harder, narrower saddle, and shorts with a thinner, better pad. My initial comment may have been a bit over the top ;-)

I smear my chamois completely before every ride. :roll:

Tell me you don't need any when yours finally go south. :roll: :shock:

When your young like you are then you won't generally have a problem, but when you get into my sort of age, then like many of my mates we suffer the same gravity issues. I saw an advert one time for a "Nut Bra"

Anyone want photo's as proof! :mrgreen:

There is also an argument that using chamois cream stops infections as well, but as I have never had an infection since I use it all the time I can't comment.
  • im sticking with the Assos Cream it does the job its designed to do and the tingling is awesome :o
    Trek Madone 5.9 2012
    Cboardman Team 2011
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Udderly Smooth for me, don't dig tingling, quite amusingly I leave it in the medicine cabinet, so nosy people can check it out and ask what it's for, that'll learn 'em...!

It's just a hill. Get over it.