Is everyone capable of building a bike?

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ever since I bought my first bike last year, I've been spending all my free time thinking about what my next bike is going to be! Up until a few weeks ago I thought I'd get a full sus, but me and the missus are talking about getting a new gaff now so I can't justify spending 1000-2000 on a new bike!

So now I've been thinking that perhaps next year sometime, once I've got a garage or big shed (if the house sells!) I might build meself a nice bike.

I don't care how long it takes me, so I can spread the cost of the parts over time, I'm pretty certain I'll enjoy the process and I figure once I've got the confidence I can do it again in the future.

But..... I've never done much more than repair punctures, change tyres, change pedals, change bars & stem etc'. I've got no tools apart from several Allen key sets and a pedal spanner, and I'm frank spencer!

So I wonder, is it gonna be too much to take on? I think it could be a great way of learning how to do everything myself, or should I think about something else instead!?

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    If the frame-to-be has headset which doesn't require a headset press, and a BB which doesn't require facing, then you can probably get away with just a 40 pound worth toolbox.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40997 + some cable cutters.
    And, I think pretty much everyone is capable of building a bike. Just requires a little bit of patience, and a little bit of knowledge, which can be acquired for free from sites like sheldonbrown.com or park-tool.com.
    Also, I would recommend building a bike yourself, you learn from it, and will save on servicing later on.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    as above a cheap but decent tool kit to start. You've already some basic removal and refitting of parts so you have basic skills to build on.

Do it, the satisfaction of DIY will be good. If you put it all together but can't do one fiddly bit like adjust gears, so what, take it to the bike shop and let them tweak it!

I'd like to have the money to do it.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Its easy if you take your time, I have a full tool kit and work stand if you need to borrow anything, as 386ka says headset and bb are the only areas you may struggle, put I have a headset press.

Your not far from me so if your stuck give me a shout.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    I disagree - judging by some of the posts on this forum there are some folk who shouldn't be let anywhere near a bike build! But I'm sure the Op is not one of these. good luck anyway :D
  • Ok, so it sounds like giving it a bash is the order of the day! Could be some time before I start though, like I say, I've gotta buy a new house and sh!t.

Is there some sort of bike building bible (like a Haynes manual) that is recommended? I've seen various guides like Park tools website which look great, but you can't beat a manual. Quick look on amazon didn't come up with much suitable looking.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All the info you need is on Parktools. It's really just a matter of bolting bits together. Easier than lego as most bits will only go on one way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi mate as posted above it's not having the correct tools that will often be the problem. If you take your time have the tools you need and are prepared to ask for help (if needed :D) and know which end of the screwdriver does the damage :lol: it's not that hard really. I (finally) finished building my new ride yesterday when the rest of the parts turned up from CRC.

I started purchasing bike tools as required so have over the years got most of the things needed. But snapping up a tool box of bike specific tools would be good if you can afford it. Imho there is nothing better than riding a bike that you constructed yourself from parts (and you will save a bomb on repair costs :D). Good luck and if you try it remember to take your time. (And if you get stuck PUT THE TOOL DOWN and ask for help on here :lol::lol: better to ask than strip threads/damage stuff).

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I got back into cycling by buying a frame with a few bits and some forks, built that up, used it for 6 months and did some upgrades, then I built a commuter from literaly a bare frame up using many bits from that first bike and an MTB from a frame in the same start point. The only tools I have were from a Lidl £25 toolkit and some decent side cutters, for most headsets I use a hammer and a piece of wood to fit, for BB thread/facing I use the LBS, I've added a few more tools now like HT2 kit and pedal spanner.

Anyone could do it, if in doubt check, check and check again and do each stage carefully.

Build your own bike and you know it inside out, you also know the strong and weak points and where to upgrade in the future.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A16UYF
    A16UYF Posts: 66
    All right mate,

I have built a couple of bikes from scratch now and there is no better feeling than riding a bike you built yourself.
    I spent about £10 on a basic bike tool kit from a market stall and have just added to it as and when i required different tools.

I leave fitting headsets and BB's to my LBS, just because they have the correct tools and they dont charge that much either.
    Cube Sting SCR (custom build)
    Spesh allez (factory build)
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Other than the headset and maybe the BB building a bike up is a piece of cake just take your time, be methodical and its plain sailing.

You should buy a set of good cable cutters though, its amazing how much easier they make the job and its only a 1 time buy.

Goodluck and have fun:-)
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    It is easily possible to build a frame up from scratch with not much more than a multitool.

The area that most people seem to fail on are over-tightening everything and generally not understanding how things work.

Understand how it works first and go from there.
  • Well this is all pretty positive and pretty much what I wanted to hear! I'll keep on planning stuff in my head and hopefully later this year, early next year i'll actually get started. Perhaps in the meantime I'll keep my eyes peeled for bargains and start collecting vital parts :wink:

Having said all that, I've got a couple of issues with my brakes now that have me a bit stumped.

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12860872
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to answer your original question. Nope.

have a read through this

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12650967
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    gezebo wrote:
    It is easily possible to build a frame up from scratch with not much more than a multitool.
    Dammit I thought I'd need a welder for that or I'd have built my own frame to build a bike up with!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.