brake boss

acac
acac Posts: 348
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi am trying to take off the brake boss on my frame .
but cant undo them really tight.
which way is it to un do them make sure am truning them the right way thanks.
play hard ride hard

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I think that (and my logic insist that) they should be turned anti-clockwise.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    386ka wrote:
    I think that (and my logic insist that) they should be turned anti-clockwise.

Yep :)
  • acac
    still cant move them
    play hard ride hard
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Weetabix???
  • acac
    any idea how to move them dont think weetbix help
    play hard ride hard
  • You sure they are removable?
    The ones on my Orange P7 were not. Angle grinder and a file did it, oh, and a respray.
  • apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    an extension tube to give you more leverage and make them release easier
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • acac
    its a melt 3
    play hard ride hard
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Link to it? I think that you are probably trying to remove non-removable bosses.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    acac wrote:
    its a melt 3
    Malt 3 more force.

And I guess your other topic is now closed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good penetrating oil (not WD40/GT85 then) and/or put some heat into the boss and then cool quickly...

If in doubt use a longer spanner!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pholt89
    pholt89 Posts: 56
    an extension tube to give you more leverage and make them release easier
    +1
    I have an old seatpost that i used like this to give me extra leverage when removing a stuborn BB
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    The key to removing stubborn frame bosses is to use a high quality, proper fitting tool. Cheap open spanners and adjustables don't have tight enough jaw tolerances.

Paint around the threaded section may impede extraction - so you may need to scrape/heat/dissolve the paint off first.

If the flats on the boss get rounded, then hammer against a hard surface to form flats on the upper section of the boss for an adjustable to fit.

If that doesn't work, then grind the rounded flats flat again - to fit an adjustable.

If that still doesn't work, then cut the boss off and grind down until flush with the threaded socket. Cover with tape or paint as finishing touches.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just use a ring spanner and give it a whack with a hammer. A sudden shock loosens most things, including bowels.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    Or just use a ring spanner and give it a whack with a hammer. A sudden shock loosens most things, including bowels.
    nope. will not fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ok the non ring end then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    but it does need to be a quality spanner as the cheap ones have no strength as the flats are only 8mm apart.