ATTN: Rick Chasey - Tourmalet

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello RC, as requested - did the Tourmalet today, along with the Luz Ardiden and the Aspin. Time from Luz-Saint Saveur to Tourmalet summit = 1:21:43.

Strava:

http://app.strava.com/segments/652848

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I did sub-130 too. Overtook FDJ's Anthony Geslin (now there's a scalp). He drafted me for a bit and them came passed and I matched his pace for a while (15 seconds) whilst filming him.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Chapeau!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. Properly chapeau. Serious speed. The final 1km was brutal. I had 20% on the Garmin on the final ramp, into a headwind. I was just about turning the pedals.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. 81 minutes is very impressive.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    That's very very impressive!

Just out of interest, what sort of time would a pro be doing it it when not racing?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • rick_chasey
    Took the lead riders around 50 odd mins I believe in the 2010 tdf.

In context, that was at the back end of the stage, on the penultimate stage of the Tour, stage 19, so fresh in training for a pro you'd put it around a similar time.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    If these boys can't come back at batter the 3 lap challenge, then I don't know what will!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    The FDJ guys came past me like **** off a shovel. Given I was 8 minutes behind IP and this was half way up and they bridged the gap and went past, I reckon they were doing just over an hour as a recovery ride.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    To be fair though we had ridden Luz Ardiden first and still had the Aspin to come, so effort had to be tempered shuts a little. Was a hard day on the bike.
  • rick_chasey
    To be fair though we had ridden Luz Ardiden first and still had the Aspin to come, so effort had to be tempered shuts a little. Was a hard day on the bike.

Did you find the Aspin really enjoyable after the Tourmalet?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Did you find the Aspin really enjoyable after the Tourmalet?

I didn't find anything other than lying down enjoyable after the Tourmalet.

The Aspin was warm, and JG and i chatted to a chap from York, who was on a tour to Perpignan with mates. Rode up with a backpack!

The descent off the Aspin was immense!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."