Tora 302 leaking, where to buy seals?

dav1
dav1 Posts: 1,298
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
My RS tora U-turn forks recently seized up so I stripped them down and gave them an oil change.

They worked fine for 2 rides, however they recently seized up again and oil is leaking from the turnkey itself and the rebound adjuster on the damper side.

These forks are now coming up to 5 yrs old and have corrosion on the stations so as you can imagine I am reluctant to spend any serious money fixing them up. Unfortunately by MTB budget won't stretch to a new set or forks to replace them just now so it’s either fix these cheap, or hang up the bike for a while :( .

Any ideas which seals I need and where I can find them? All searches so far return tora air seals...
Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    They seem to be leaking oil from damaged o-rings. Service them again, this time changing the o-rings and stanchion seals, and they should be up and running again.

PS, I think you can solve the rust problem with a bit of sanding and a bit more WD-40.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    There is a problem with some Tora forks - thibnk it is the 318 ones with steel stanchions. At the bottom of the damper side there is a plastic fitting which is pressed in at the factory which the plunger goes seal round (over a day or two) leading to hydraulic lock-out - it feels like it ha seized up. So you can service it, it seems fine then day or two later it's locked out again. It is a catastrophic failure as you cannot replace this pressed in fitting. Best thing to do is to fill the upper and before replacing the lowers leave it and check for oil dripping through the bottom. :?
  • 386ka
    The 318 and 302 use entirely different damper.
  • dav1
    lpretro1 wrote:
    There is a problem with some Tora forks - thibnk it is the 318 ones with steel stanchions. At the bottom of the damper side there is a plastic fitting which is pressed in at the factory which the plunger goes seal round (over a day or two) leading to hydraulic lock-out - it feels like it ha seized up. So you can service it, it seems fine then day or two later it's locked out again. It is a catastrophic failure as you cannot replace this pressed in fitting. Best thing to do is to fill the upper and before replacing the lowers leave it and check for oil dripping through the bottom. :?
    it did have this issue a couple of years back and was fixed by SRAM under warranty.

I did temp fix it with an injection of fresh oil into the lower leg, where i noted the crush washer was brittle and cracked.

The corrosion has been patched with nail varnish and sanding, the wipers no longer leak. I just need to track down the right O-rings. WIll an air fork kit do or do they need to be specific tor U-turn?

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • 386ka
    Umm, you don't need an air kit. You need the kit for the damper side of the fork. But, yeah, the damper side kit is identical for both air and u-turn versions. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have a spare tora rebound damper if you need it.
  • dav1
    edited June 2012
    is it just the damper though? The crush washer that sits on the bolt into which the rebound adjuster goes is also split in two.

I'll open the fork up tomorrow and see whats going on inside if the damper is damaged i'll definatly get in touch with a pm :)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • 386ka
    And if you need Tora TK damper (the compression part of the damper), I have one. It requires a new o-ring though.

PS, try new seal kit (both dust wipers and new o-rings) first, I think they come with crush washers for the lowers.
    I think that is the issue.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dav

Have sum fox 32 van r if intrested in the classifieds there 140 mm norm stearer length 21cm
  • dav1
    pulled the damper out today and it seems to have become bent slightly, that would explain why the lockout failed that time I used the blow off after forgetting to lock out. On a plus the damper leg is still full of oil so it seems its seals are just fine...

Carrera virtuoso - RIP