Whats it worth!

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I am coming to the end of the 12 month period of the cyclescheme agreement and I was thinking of paying the 18% to purchase the bike, sell it and then get a new cyclescheme agreement for something a lot better.

The bike I have is a Claud Butler Echelon 2009 50cm frame, upgrades of I-clic Racer pedals and a 80mm Deda Zero 1 stem. In reasonable condition, with a few scratches on the shifters and frame but in good working order. The bike will be a year old in September.

I would need to pay about £88 for it after the 12 month period expires. My question is could I expect to get more than £88 for it and if so would I be better off putting the original stem and pedals back on and keeping the stem and pedals for my new bike?.

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Not sure about the value, but if you get on with the pedals you might as well keep them. Presumably the bike came with flat pedals, so you could reattach those to sell?
    Is the frame the right size for you? An 80mm stem is fairly short, so you could probably do with a smaller frame (unless you have long leg/short torso proportions).
  • NITR8s
    Yer I found that although it claims to be a 50cm frame which apparently fits my inside leg 28 inches the top tube was quite long, hence the shorter stem. I guess its an issue of getting a mail order bike, not being able to test it out before buying.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    There's very little that you can buy for £88 to be honest. Virtually any bike with STI shifters will command a far greater price than £88.

I recently sold a quite old Specialized Allez on eBay (with a crack in the headtube, which was pointed out in the listing) and despite saying it should be bought for spares (Shimano Sora 8 speed triple groupset & Bontrager Racelite wheels, which were well used & again described as such). It fetched nearly £200 - I offered the complete bike to somebody on the forum who was looking for cheap parts for £100 but he turned it down (I thought that it was definitely worth that.)

Keep the better stem and most bikes are sold without pedals so keep those too!
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    Bike is definetly worth more than £88 and would fetch between £100 - £250 on EBay. Road bikes are currently going for a lot more than they were 12 months ago on EBay
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Cant you fit mudguards to it and call it your new winter bike?? I'd keep it if so and buy a "summer" bike.
  • NITR8s
    Yer I could fit mudguards to it, but the issue is storage. I currently keep the bike in my living room and I am not sure how my wife would think of having two bikes in the living room. Plus the more I can get for it, the more I can put towards a new bike. I am currently liking the look of the Giant Defy 1 or 0, I quite like the shape of the frames. Although I cannot get a new bike until at least sept so hoping that this years models start going in the sale by then.