Ooo driving around with fog lights on looks so cool!

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
People who drive round with their fog lights on all the time thinking it makes them/their car look cool.

Why???? :roll:

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Because it makes your car look sweet. Duh..
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    To be honest, i only care wen they are doing it at night with sidelights on and dipped headlights off!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • mfin wrote:
    People who drive round with their fog lights on all the time thinking it makes them/their car look cool.

One of my pet hates as well, particularly after I got stopped by the cops 10 years ago or so and given a producer and a £30 fine!!!!!
    Seems to be de rigeur these days though!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    In the rain annoys me - people do it thinking it helps when it really doesn't. I believe it's an offence in France to do it with a nice hefty fine.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Now that EU regs mean cars have to have daylight running lights, the ones that don't have naff LED clusters often have lights that look like foglights instead - my Kia does.

Doesn't excuse your 10yo chav-mobile of course.
  • mfin
    edited June 2012
    bompington wrote:
    Now that EU regs mean cars have to have daylight running lights, the ones that don't have naff LED clusters often have lights that look like foglights instead - my Kia does.

Doesn't excuse your 10yo chav-mobile of course.

It was the tee-wat wagons I was on about yeah... often with illegal hid headlight conversions and super cool looking blue painted side light bulbs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Are we talking front or rear fogs here then? I assumed rear, that's what annoys me - fronts aren't an issue.
  • mfin
    Pross wrote:
    Are we talking front or rear fogs here then? I assumed rear, that's what annoys me - fronts aren't an issue.

Front... people put them on for no other reason than they think it makes their car look cool (and you end up looking at cars with more light than they should have for the conditions).
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

One of my pet hates as well, particularly after I got stopped by the cops 10 years ago or so and given a producer and a £30 fine!!!!!

Cops should do that here, they'd make a fortune.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    mfin wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Cops should do that here, they'd make a fortune.

Um.. They do. I received a £30 fine for having mine on (5 mins after I had been driving on top of a hill with maybe 10ft visibility)
  • mfin
    That's bad. Well, there's been no fog here in a while but plenty of berks out with them on, always the same kind of cars, little 'tricked up' (in the minds of the driver) Saxos and 106s... you know, the kind of ones that are always slower than an average family saloon with an exhaust leak (but sound alike).... although, I must admit, some of them do have the power to wheelspin in the wet!!
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    I agree, those that use them to look cool, well they aren't. I think a lot of newer cars look like foglights but they are actually the daylight running lights - like the Citroen DS3.
    Ciao Marco
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I don't give a monkey's as long as I'm not being dazzled by them.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I don't give a monkey's as long as I'm not being dazzled by them.
    Amen - my first and only off was due to being dazzled by a car round a corner at night. Admittedly it wasn't fogs but full beam. Either way I wasn't impressed as I picked myself out of the hedge!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    mfin wrote:

Perhaps they just need to clean their glasses.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Driving around with your fogs on when its not foggy just makes it easy to identify the driver as a prick. Other indicators of the "erectus prictus" is driving position so far back to be near horizontal with driver's pin head barely visible over the steering wheel. Also, inability to use the handbrake when in stationary traffic-I love being dazzled by brake lights! This species of driver often finds it either, unnecessary to indicate at turnings or junctions or indicate at the very last moment, totally pointless by then. Lowered suspension to such an extreme (lower than your Grandma's tits) is particularly funny when the nob concerned has to drive ever so slowly and carefully over any speed bump.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Ginjafro wrote:
    Lowered suspension to such an extreme (lower than your Grandma's tits) is particularly funny when the nob concerned has to drive ever so slowly and carefully over any speed bump.
    This. I hate people who slow down to this level when you are riding behind them! Ruins your speed/momentum and it's probably too dangerous to pull out/overtake...
  • A friend suggested to me that fog lights should be banned and driving would be the safer for it, especially in fog. His argument has some merit I think.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    mfin wrote:

Ginjafro wrote:
    Also, inability to use the handbrake when in stationary traffic-I love being dazzled by brake lights! This species of driver often finds it either, unnecessary to indicate at turnings or junctions or indicate at the very last moment,

Oooh Don't get me started !! Don't I tell ya !! :shock: :shock:

Must avoid this thread at all costs.

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Dog Breath wrote:
    inability to use the handbrake when in stationary traffic
    :oops:

This never occurred to me that it would irritate people. I'm certainly not in the cool/chav car demographic but I seldom put my hand brake on in traffic unless I know I'll be stationary for a minute or more. What irritates me is being a passenger to someone who is incapable of a minor hill start without using the hand brake.

Agree with the fog light sentiment though.
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    jawooga wrote:
    Dog Breath wrote:
    inability to use the handbrake when in stationary traffic
    :oops:

This never occurred to me that it would irritate people. .

That's the whole problem, most people don't think about the effect their driving has on other people. Getting dazzled by others brake lights while stopped in a queue at traffic lights is one of those things that irritates me. It is simply that the person is too lazy to use their handbrake. Similarly, people are too lazy to use their indicators. I mean, just HOW DIFFICULT is it. :?:

Drivers need to consider whether they would pass their test driving in the manner that they do. And if the answer is no, then improve !

I told you not to get me started :shock:

DB
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    A twunt I used to work with a while back got a fine for driving with ihs foglights on but continued to do it anyway. When I asked him why he said it was because they looked cool. I politely informed him it just showed everyone else what a tool he is.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    A friend suggested to me that fog lights should be banned and driving would be the safer for it, especially in fog. His argument has some merit I think.

Your friend has a point, especially as my normal thought upon putting on the fog lights while driving in fog has been "well that made f*ck (do I get moderated on BB if I don't ***?) all difference."

There was a time when fog lights weren't all that common and doubtless some tool felt the need to leave the world in no doubt that he was driving a Sierra GLXi, rather than a (in his mind utterly toss) GLi. Thus from sub-normal father the torch was handed to sub-normal son.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Hmmn, can road cyclists safely criticise others who do things because they think it looks cool?

On the subject of removing fog lights to make driving safer, I once heard a driving instructor say that removing airbags from cars and replacing the steering wheel bag so that a large metal spike is fired in the drivers chest instead in the case of an accident would definitely improve safety immeasurably. Again, he may have a had a point :twisted:
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    What annoys me is car manufacturers designing cars so that left/right fog lights come on when the wheels are turned past a certain position. A couple of times on the approach to roundabouts, the right fog light has come on as the car steers onto the roundbout and then off as opposite steering is applied (we're on the other side of the road here) and I've mistakely thought it was the indicator coming on and off and they wanted to leave at the first exit resulting in near misses as they continue to drive around the rounabout.

...and I agree, being blinded by people who can't use a handbrake is another pet hate too.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Dog Breath wrote:
    Getting dazzled by others brake lights while stopped in a queue at traffic lights is one of those things that irritates me.

What annoys me is those people who take ages to get moving once the lights have turned green, they spend so long faffing around with their blasted handbrake. What is the matter with them? Don't they have legs? Can't they use their brake pedal, its far better for a quick clean get away from the lights and leads to less traffic congestion. :D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~