Cycling semantics question

dw300
dw300 Posts: 1,642
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
If I said the term "Cycle Fit" would you consider that to refer to a level of fitness connected with cycling, or the fitting of a bicycle to a rider?

I think I would be right in saying that "Cycling Fitness" and "Cycle Fitting" would be more appropriate to avoid confusion. But if you had to choose one, which would you say that "Cycle Fit" referred to more?

Thanks you for participating in my market research!
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    The term you generally hear is bike fit which is getting the bike to fit you correctly. I've never heard anyone refer to it as cycle fit though.
  • dw300
    Pross wrote:
    The term you generally hear is bike fit which is getting the bike to fit you correctly. I've never heard anyone refer to it as cycle fit though.

Yes that's true .. so would you think it would be acceptable to use the term "Cycle Fit" in regards to fitness training, and not expect too much confusion or criticism because of possible confusion with bike fitting?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cycle fit could refer to the jolly attractive young lady I followed - err drafted - for a little while on the Blenheim Palace 100 miler a couple of years ago. Back in the real world, it's fitting the body to the bicycle. It's never occurred to me that it might be the other one.
  • Pross
    dw300 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yes that's true .. so would you think it would be acceptable to use the term "Cycle Fit" in regards to fitness training, and not expect too much confusion or criticism because of possible confusion with bike fitting?

That would confuse me. I would expect to see cycling fit, riding fit etc. as it should have a verb rather than a noun due to it relating to an activity rather than an object.
  • Pross
    CiB wrote:
    Cycle fit could refer to the jolly attractive young lady I followed - err drafted - for a little while on the Blenheim Palace 100 miler a couple of years ago. Back in the real world, it's fitting the body to the bicycle. It's never occurred to me that it might be the other one.

Nope, that is a cycling fittie ;)
  • dw300
    Pross wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

That would confuse me. I would expect to see cycling fit, riding fit etc. as it should have a verb rather than a noun due to it relating to an activity rather than an object.

Thanks, that's useful input!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    dw300 wrote:
    If I said the term "Cycle Fit" would you consider that to refer to a level of fitness connected with cycling, or the fitting of a bicycle to a rider?

I think I would be right in saying that "Cycling Fitness" and "Cycle Fitting" would be more appropriate to avoid confusion. But if you had to choose one, which would you say that "Cycle Fit" referred to more?

Is the purpose of asking to help think through an SEO strategy par chance?

(if it is, which of the two interpretations are you trying to market to)
  • dw300
    mfin wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Is the purpose of asking to help think through an SEO strategy par chance?

(if it is, which of the two interpretations are you trying to market to)

Yeh, partly SEO etc, but also just don't want to look like a noob by misusing a phrase that is mostly taken to mean something else.

I think I would generally refer to getting a suit or golf clubs fitted, or go for a fitting, and so id expect to also have a bike fitted or go for a fitting (im in the UK). But English language these days is driven by the US, and they tend to refer to 'a fit' or even 'get it fit' meaning get it fitted, and if that's what the majority would expect then it would be wise not to buck the trend.

It would be aiming at people wanting to get fitter via cycling. But i think i have made my decision not to go with Cycle Fit (not exactly what I was going with anyway, just don't want to set up the opportunity to have a domain name sniped at the last minute before i make a decision).

I know there are easily better names, but choosing something that has an available domain name makes it more difficult.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    dw300 wrote:

Yeh, partly SEO etc, but also just don't want to look like a noob by misusing a phrase that is mostly taken to mean something else.

I think I would generally refer to getting a suit or golf clubs fitted, or go for a fitting, and so id expect to also have a bike fitted or go for a fitting (im in the UK). But English language these days is driven by the US, and they tend to refer to 'a fit' or even 'get it fit' meaning get it fitted, and if that's what the majority would expect then it would be wise not to buck the trend.

It would be aiming at people wanting to get fitter via cycling. But i think i have made my decision not to go with Cycle Fit (not exactly what I was going with anyway, just don't want to set up the opportunity to have a domain name sniped at the last minute before i make a decision).

I know there are easily better names, but choosing something that has an available domain name makes it more difficult.

Always worth moving quickly on domain purchases, they're dirt cheap, Ive had the experience of missing out on a couple of good ones in the past through just a short amount of dithering!

Hmm... well, its a massive subject, always worth a look through Google on what finds what... I have a quick muck about in adwords looking at the phrase hits, then go back into google, whack it in and go through the top links to see what sites are high up (soak up what people do, they're content etc at the same time)... its just one quick way with a couple of windows open to get a flavour of what's going on with what statistics before you go right into depth.

(Someone else I know who retails actually decides completely what they are going to sell based on domains they can get and get to the top... they wouldn't care if its rubber dog sh*t if it will make them money!)