my bike is a little big - options

pianoman1980
pianoman1980 Posts: 29
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi all,

My bike is a little on the large side for me I think. I just wondered what adjustment options I have available.

I tried a medium frame bike recently (only in the shop) and it felt better. I have the large from the same shop (Decathlon).

I feel that I'm having to stretch too far to reach the bars when riding, I want to be a bit more upright i feel when riding and currently feel I'm bending over too much to reach and getting some lower back ache. I have the saddle forwards, would a shorter stem help this by bringing the bars towards me?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    But it will affect the handling characteristics, (Not necessarily for the worse though).

In the interim if you have spacers above the stem you could move it up a bit to give you a more upright position....
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    A shorter stem would help, as well as rotating the riser bars towards you. You could maybe try a layback seatpost but run it back to front. Not entirely sure if the clamp will still work properly though.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Greer_ wrote:
    A shorter stem would help, as well as rotating the riser bars towards you. You could maybe try a layback seatpost but run it back to front. Not entirely sure if the clamp will still work properly though.

Nope. Your saddle would pointing at the sky and acting more like a dildo then a seat.
  • Greer_
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:

Nope. Your saddle would pointing at the sky and acting more like a dildo then a seat.

Was worth a shout!
    But it will affect the handling characteristics, (Not necessarily for the worse though).

In the interim if you have spacers above the stem you could move it up a bit to give you a more upright position....

I can't see that helping much, and it will only work if he has excess steerer tube above the stem, which I doubt.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Greer_ wrote:

I can't see that helping much, and it will only work if he has excess steerer tube above the stem, which I doubt.

It surprising how much raising/lowering the stem with spacer movement makes a difference.

I lowered the stem 15 mm on my road bike and it felt like a completely different riding position.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    have you considered arm lenghtening bit extreme but best answer long term ;-)
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • Greer_
    craigw99 wrote:
    have you considered arm lenghtening bit extreme but best answer long term ;-)

pha0273l.jpg:lol::lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shorter stem, higher rise bars & slide the saddle forwards. Shorter stem also improves the steering.
  • Greer_
    Shorter stem, higher rise bars & slide the saddle forwards. Shorter stem also improves the steering.

It won't improve the steering for everyone, depending on preferences. It will make the steering more responsive though.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Sick of hearing this rubbish all the time. Complete generalisation. I used to ride a 50mm stem and it washed out on corners a lot, got a 90mm on the current bike and feels much better. Weight further forward without having to lean over the bars as much so the back is weighted appropriately too, and it feels 100 fold better in corners and straights.
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    Greer_ wrote:

Don't know where the spacers would be if there isn't excess steerer tube!