What's that noise...?

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Just changed my wheels and tires, loving them apart from one strange noise. When I'm up out the saddle giving it some, I hear a strange noise from the rear wheel, it sounds like a "squish" or "swash" I apologise for the very technical wording, as I no I'm posting in the road beginners forum... Lol. Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    What wheels and tyres have you put on?
  • Barrzy257
    Soul Wheels s2.0 MAX, and Schwalbe Ultremo ZX
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Wheels flexing and the rims catching on the brake pads?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What tyre size / what pressure are you using?

My 25's make that sound if they are a bit under-inflated and I'm heaving the thing from side to side up a hill
  • Barrzy257
    I dont think its the brake pads, as its not causing any extra resistance. Or atleast I dont feel that it is.
    Im running 23's, and pressure from 100-110. I do notice it more when ive got the bike lent over and im pushing down hard. I did think it may be the sidewalls on the tyre bellowing out and rubbing? Then my 2nd thought was something to do with the bearings? The wheels are still new and have only done around 150 miles
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I dont think its the brake pads, as its not causing any extra resistance. Or atleast I dont feel that it is.

You wont necessarily be able to feel it if its just and so rubbing. Try disconnecting your rear brake and them hammer up a hill out of the saddle?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    This is a long shot, but when I fitted new tyres the other month I had a strange noise from the front wheel.

Turned out it was them little rubber spikey bits that stick out the side on new tyres catching on the inside of the fork. They've pretty much gone now.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    Just changed my wheels and tires, loving them apart from one strange noise. When I'm up out the saddle giving it some, I hear a strange noise from the rear wheel, it sounds like a "squish" or "swash" I apologise for the very technical wording, as I no I'm posting in the road beginners forum... Lol. Any help would be appreciated.
    Chris

I would suggest it's just the noise made by your wheel/spokes as you honk and give it beans. Mine does it all the time.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Definitely sounds like wheels flexing to me. Try opening up the caliper by flicking the small lever upwards on your brake calipers. This will give you slightly greater clearance between the wheels and brake pads and longer travel on the brake levers. If the noise disappears then return the lever to its previous position and adjust the tension on your brake cable slightly to increase the clerance on a lesser but more permanent basis.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Barrzy257 wrote:
    Soul Wheels s2.0 MAX, and Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

Right, by looking at the pics they appear to have a quite wide bladed spoke, I am presuming your previous wheels did not? I think you will find that as you get out of the seat and give it some power you can hear the air pressure on the bladed spoke creating the thrum thrum noise, this is also very common on deeper rim wheels. Enjoy you upgrades