Lever reach for small hands - Stroker , Auriga, Acera

mountaingoatimnot
mountaingoatimnot Posts: 185
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, I'm about to order a Merida Matts Trail hardtail for my 10yr old

He sat on a 2102 model yesterday which has the Shimano Acera shifters/levers and the reach was OK for him (not sure how much these had been adjusted by the shop, as it just came out of the store room , he sat on it, and was OK)

I've found 2009 models of higher spec versions for sale now (at less money!) but they use

300-D model - Tektro Auriga

500-D model - Hayes Storker Ryde

Simple question - will there be a similar range of lever adjustment on the Auriga and Stroker Ryde ?

They all obviously have adjustment screws, but i note that Hayes sell a short throw lever as an optional part which makes me wonder whether there is less adjustment with the std evers ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    For the Aurigas, the reach adjustment is inside the lever pivot. So yes, there's a range of adjustment. I'd expect the hayes to be the same but I've never used them.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have Hayes Sole (bottom rung brakes from 2004) on my old bike and they have reach adjustment so I can't imagine Hayes would have gone backwards as far as features go.
  • Chhers folks - my concern is mainly because the mounting clamps of the Stroker look quite long, potentially putting the mechanism further from the bar than the Acera's. I know the Auriga and Stroker Ryde have adjustment but not sure how close you could get them to the bars at full adjustment ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    every hydro disc brake that i have worked on has reach adjust.

you can get them all close to the bars he should be fine with any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

Many thanks - thinking to the cost of replacing bashed parts that are bound to occur, my wallet might be better off with the cheaper Tektro set-up. Plenty of stopping power for him as he's so light :lol:
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    nicklouse wrote:

Many thanks - thinking to the cost of replacing bashed parts that are bound to occur, my wallet might be better off with the cheaper Tektro set-up. Plenty of stopping power for him as he's so light :lol:

More than enough power :)
  • Well have ordered the higher spec bike with the Stroker Ryde brakes - I'll stretch his fingers if needbe :shock:
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'm sure the Rydes adjust in quite a bit, I'd check mine but seeing as I've just found this thread and you've ordered the bike I'll leave them be!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Whilst checking over his current MTB and a slightly older BMX I noticed neither had made use of the adjustment screws anyway - i think he probably could have benefitted from some slight adjustment but he's coped with those so the Rydes will be fine - due for delivery tomorrow so i have an evening of fettling to look forward too. Helicopter tape due to arrive today :D