what to do at traffic lights - clipless pedals

elduderinoo
elduderinoo Posts: 17
edited July 2012 in Commuting general
Hi guys,

I'm new to commuting and cycling in general. I have a road bike with clipless pedals. I've mainly got it to train to compete in triathlons but I'm also using it to cycle to work.

I'm very new to the bike and the clip less pedals. My question is what do you do when you get to traffic lights? I've been trying to balance and anticipate the lights so I don't have to unclip....but sometimes I obviously do. So when I push off again I've got to clip back in....sometimes this doesn't work so well....I miss the clip and have to have a few attempts....it's not great when you're at the front of a queue of traffic....feels a bit dangerous.

What do you do?

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I take it you are using one sided road pedals like Looks? I didn't get on with these for commuting and had the same problems in heavy traffic or stopping on steep hills.

I'd recommend either Speedplays if you want a road pedal or Time ATAC Carbons if you want a more sensible commuting pedal.

It took me two years of persevering with the Looks before I ditched them, so up to you.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Use SPDs rather than SPD-SLs.

OK, that's a bit flippant. But I'm assuming you've got SLs, and if you want to stick with them you just need to get better at clipping in and/or trackstands.

I have SLs on my road bike and personally I'd never use them for commuting for the very reasons you describe, plenty on here do though.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    MrChuck wrote:
    Use SPDs rather than SPD-SLs.

OK, that's a bit flippant. But I'm assuming you've got SLs, and if you want to stick with them you just need to get better at clipping in and/or trackstands.

I have SLs on my road bike and personally I'd never use them for commuting for the very reasons you describe, plenty on here do though.

+1 SPD's for commuting...also means you ride with a mountain bike shoe so can actually walk around without slipping over :shock:

One point I would say tho...how good is your road bike ?...must be pretty desent for doing Tri on :D ...would get a second hack for cycling to work ...don't want to trash a nice bike commuting....or it getting nicked :evil:
  • hi,

I am indeed using Look cleats....I didn't know these were not ideal for commuting...

In actual fact I'm not commuting - I'm out riding around London in traffic though....I'd rather not be....but where else can one ride when living in London? I took a drive out to Layhams Road last weekend and had a lovely long ride out there.

@turnerJohn - I'm riding a Trek Madone...
  • before investing in a new set of pedals and cleats I'd give it a couple of months - I moved from SPD to SPD-SL - first month was a pain but you get used to it - never going to be quite as easy but now I hit 90% of the time and when I miss it doesn't feel dangerous - bit of perseverance worked for me
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Jeepie wrote:
    I take it you are using one sided road pedals like Looks? I didn't get on with these for commuting and had the same problems in heavy traffic or stopping on steep hills.

I'd recommend either Speedplays if you want a road pedal or Time ATAC Carbons if you want a more sensible commuting pedal.

It took me two years of persevering with the Looks before I ditched them, so up to you.

Occasionally I ride into work on the race bike and Looks do me just fine, then again I've been riding Look pedals for about 18 years so ought to be used to them by now!
    +1 on the Time ATACs as a regular commuter pedal though - I have these on my "everyday"/touring bike and they're excellent. The cleats last for ages too....I have had ATAC cleats which were still fine even when the shoes they were attached to were only fit for the bin!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    I use Look pedals and cleats on both my commuter and race bike and have no trouble riding in the traffic with them.

Initially it took me a few attempts, and a fall, to get used to them, but now I can clip in and out very easily. Where possible I use things like hand-rails, bins and the actula traffic ligt pole itself, if close enough to the kerb to lean up against until the lights change. That usually negates the need to unclip.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    SPD's for commuting - nothing better - and a pair of Specialized Sonoma or Bontrager Street shoes - you can even wear them around the office if needed.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I saw a man avoiding unclipping by doing two 360 degree loops in front of two lanes of standing traffic at the Stretford road lights on Friday morning.

I wouldn't suggest that though, it looked thoroughly dangerous and silly.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd say SPDs - double sided & you can walk distances in the shoes if need be. Either that or just get used to what you have now (which I assume are single sided).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Hi guys,

I'm new to commuting and cycling in general. I have a road bike with clipless pedals. I've mainly got it to train to compete in triathlons but I'm also using it to cycle to work.

I'm very new to the bike and the clip less pedals. My question is what do you do when you get to traffic lights? I've been trying to balance and anticipate the lights so I don't have to unclip....but sometimes I obviously do. So when I push off again I've got to clip back in....sometimes this doesn't work so well....I miss the clip and have to have a few attempts....it's not great when you're at the front of a queue of traffic....feels a bit dangerous.

What do you do?

not read the thread so apols if I'm the 10th person stating the obvious.

Unclip one foot, stand that on the ground whilst stationary, push off with the other one when you get moving again, clip in other foot as quickly as possible, practice will make if not perfect then pretty dam close.

people can come up with all sorts of ideas about whether you should unclip the outside foot, that stops you falling into traffic if you have a moment, or the inside one that naturally tilts you over to the kerb anyway if you were to fall. I'd suggest you leave your dominant leg cliped in for as efficient a getaway as possible.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    You are now in the process of developing your trackstand skills. This has the beneficial effect that, when you can no longer balance and have to put your foot down, it makes the lights change
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • LankyDJ
    LankyDJ Posts: 44
    What NOT to do at traffic lights........

How about two 360 degree loops in front of the traffic like the fella in Stretford.

Perhaps it makes more sense to unclip and then clip back in when the lights change! But then again........

You must have been amazed tallmansix?
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    I'm lucky. My four mile commute doesn't include any traffic lights. 8)

However, +1 for SPDs. My pedals are SPD one side and flat the other so I can ride in ordinary shoes (or wellies or whatever) if I want to. Pulling out at the lights, if I miss the clippy side it's no big deal - I can pedal for a while and clip in when it's convenient.
  • Steve@Tern
    Steve@Tern Posts: 15
    Couldn't agree more with all those who advocate SPDs - it doesn't matter if you can't clip in for a few strokes, at least you're moving and stable. And you can walk in the shoes.
    Mind you, I think even SPD-SLs are safer that toeclips and straps - speaking as one who, as a novice, thought they were great, until a foot got stuck while stopping, depositing yours truly, totally helplessly, into the road. The result if there had been traffic does not bear thinking about...
    Once you've practiced the technique of unclipping, you're safe enough. If your foot's stuck in a strap, there's absolutely nothing you can do - you're over.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    So long as you don't end up doing a horizontal track stand your doing fine.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • If you're unsure of a situation unclip a foot. You'll notice as your other foot is clipped in you can still pedal. When you get to a traffic light unclip a foot or else you'll fall down. Or trackstand. Use a tiny bit of uphill and press against it with your wheel. Viola! No unclip.

Either way change your cleats every year and a bit because they'll wear out eventually and riding with worn cleats is crazy.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Save yourself a pile of hassle and stress by unclipping as you approach the lights and then clipping in when they change. The subtext of your question suggests that you want to avoid unclipping; if you accept that you probably will have to it makes it easier.

Clipping in is something that over time comes naturally and you get to a point where you do it without any real thought. Until that nirvana arrives, clip in at your own pace. If someone behind is muttering under their breath or hanging out of the window shouting abuse, tough. It should only take one or two tries if you're not stressing out at what other traffic is thinking about you.

Copping out by using a clipless pedal that you don't really want to use misses the point. Clipping in is easy after a short while. Just stick with it.
  • corshamjim
    By the way, full marks everyone for not suggesting that stopping at the lights is optional. :D
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Sometimes it's possible to use a lamp-post or bit of railing to hold yourself upright without unclipping. Then a bit of careful light-change anticipation and away you go.
  • fobose
    fobose Posts: 6
    I unclip before the lights and roll up to them, then pedal with one leg (other leg just resting on the other pedal) till I get up enough speed to feel I can clip in without wobbling in front of any cars... :D
  • I went clipless last week and found the hard way that I have a bad habit. I put my right foot down when I stop and then change feet so that I start with my right foot on the pedal. Clipless moment when I brought my right foot up forgetting to unclip and put my left foot down first. :mrgreen:
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    After commuting in and out of central London for just over a year, I can say with confidence that any performance (speed/power) advantages of SPD-SL/LOOK/whatever clipless pedal that does not clip in within a fraction of a second from setting off at the lights is completely negated by the time/risk taken at the lights to set off and up to speed again.

Infact, for any urban commuter, anything more than flat pedals is overkill.
  • corshamjim
    You're probably right, fnegroni. My commute isn't urban so it's not such a big deal for me.

Personally I always use SPD though, even on those rides when flat would be better as it keeps me firmly in the habit of clipping in/out. I fear (maybe wrongly) that if I started commuting on flats, I might forget on those occasions when I do need/use SPD, and then topple over!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Learn to trackstand.
  • lotuseater
    lotuseater Posts: 58
    Its a case of tools for the job IMHO

commuting - SPDs + commuting bike

"Proper" road riding - Look + road bike
    Orange Crush AM 15
    Airnimal Chameleon Ultra
    Planet X Team Alu
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    i used look delta pedals for years without any clip in/out problems till one day i was climbing a hil and the left pedal axle snapped, that scent of fresh roses beckons as you go head first over the bars, now i use look keo, but despite having done many years of bike riding clipping in from a stop is almost always a problem , i,m just about ready to chuck them in the bin, the only good thing i can say about them, is that the axle is a tad longer and eliminates my knee problem , caused by the broken pedal.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    YIMan wrote:
    Sometimes it's possible to use a lamp-post or bit of railing to hold yourself upright without unclipping. Then a bit of careful light-change anticipation and away you go.
    Problem with this is it puts you in the gutter, you should usually be more central in the road at a junction, to discourage left hooking.

I know you said 'sometimes' but it's worth pointing out for newbies.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • tuktuk
    tuktuk Posts: 179
    Im very new to cycling and commuting, got some spd-sl pedals and never looked back. Little tricky at first but now i dont even have to look where they are and rarely miss.

If i can do it anyone can!
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Unclip one pedal. Or if it's been a while on red or quite a distance away, slow down and by the time you get there it'll be green.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)