using strava

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I want to use strava on my mobile but have a limited amount of data available, how data intensive is the app?

thanks

Comments

• iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    not familiar with the strava app but you can upload rides to strava without it from a garmin and the files are really just text files so are really not big. Would therefore GUESS that you had little to worry about but cant say for sure.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I think they only sync when you hit save, so maybe wait till you are on wireless but they don't take very long so can't be big.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It isn't that data intensive.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    The question is how limited.

If you've "only" got 500Mb a month... don't worry about it.

As far as I know though, the GPS tracking itself doesn't use your 'data' allocation - the GPS "antenna" is separate. It only uses the 3G antenna to tell Skynet where you are. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    thanks will give it a go

sam
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You only need data if you want to look at the map/detailed info about the ride. If you only want to record your ride you just open it up and press start - it runs exclusively from GPS. When you're done, the ride will be saved in your phone and will automatically upload to strava next time you open it up and have data enabled. Handy for me as I have a PAYG phone with no data plan.

Bit annoyed with strava today. Did a 32 mile ride but for some reason it came back as 'incomplete' - it had stopped at 24 miles. Will be getting a handlebar mount so I can check it periodically.