Thoughts?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Does anyone commute on Carbon wheels?

How long do they last? Any breakages?

Thoughts?

Wrath Rob does occasionally when his tarty white mudguards are dirty.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Two thoughts:

You might as well have a flashing neon bullseye suspended from illuminated airship hanging over you.

Don't in the rain. Just don't.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Greg66 wrote:
    Two thoughts:

You might as well have a flashing neon bullseye suspended from illuminated airship hanging over you.

Don't in the rain. Just don't.
    +1 to both of those. Make sure you're ready to defend your scalp rigorously or make it very obvious you're not trying, while still holding a good pace.

Also, make sure your brakes are properly adjusted. Mine were INCREDIBLY noisy until I made sure that the pads were properly flat on the braking surface (with a little toe-in). Great if you want to scare some muppet pedestrian/nodder, not so good if you're just slowing down for some lights.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I commuted on mine for a week when i first got them.

Got a crick in my neck from constantly looking over my shoulder.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Approaching it from a completely different angle...I always think that if you wear your party dress to work every day, you're not going to feel very special the next time you wear it to a party...

Race day - race kit, race face

if you have race carbon wheels and commuting carbon wheels then please ignore this, and welcome to the forum Lord Sugar.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Agree with plumpy on that.

Also can't really see why you would want to, unless you are indeed dripping in cash, they are a total waste of money for commuting.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I was thinking about replacing the rear only. The 40mm deep vee alloy wheel is damn heavy and I need cheering up after killing my bank account getting the car through it's MOT.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    plumpy wrote:
    I always think that if you wear your party dress to work every day, you're not going to feel very special the next time you wear it to a party...

I agree entirely with this. I keep my commuter bike as a piece of junk (well, ish) so my already ridiculous race bike feels even more ridiculous everytime I ride it :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    memsley89 wrote:
    plumpy wrote:
    I always think that if you wear your party dress to work every day, you're not going to feel very special the next time you wear it to a party...

I agree entirely with this. I keep my commuter bike as a piece of junk (well, ish) so my already ridiculous race bike feels even more ridiculous everytime I ride it :D

Looking at the seat angle in your sig I can see why your race bike feels ridiculous :)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm sure it depends on the wheels, but I know of a couple of guys who've broken Zipp 404s within a few races of buying them.

I certainly wouldn't commute on them.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    I'm sure it depends on the wheels, but I know of a couple of guys who've broken Zipp 404s within a few races of buying them.

404s used to have a pretty dubious reputation for developing cracks around the spoke nipple. They are supposed to be more robust these days.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I was amazed to see Mike Hall using carbon wheels for this round the world record breaking attempt: http://road.cc/content/news/59716-inter ... record-kit

I guess they are a lot stronger than I thought and therefore may be an option for commuting, as long as it's not raining, which it is, most of the time.
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I'm sure it depends on the wheels, but I know of a couple of guys who've broken Zipp 404s within a few races of buying them.

404s used to have a pretty dubious reputation for developing cracks around the spoke nipple. They are supposed to be more robust these days.

Both times they were the brand-new Firecrests, one decent pothole and they're toast. Try avoiding potholes up here :wink:

From what I can see, the rims are just very thin to keep the weight down. Perhaps we just got a bad batch delivered to Scotland.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Both times they were the brand-new Firecrests, one decent pothole and they're toast. Try avoiding potholes up here :wink:

Christ!

IP - you listening to this?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    memsley89 wrote:
    plumpy wrote:

Agreed, but I spend ~ 1/2 my riding week on the commute so its nice to break out the good bike every so often. Plus the carbon wheels have the PowerTap built into them, so if I'm doing some training on the way home then I don't have much choice.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup, here's me commuting on my carbonwheels
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    darn 'pooter
    FCN = 4
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Jeepie wrote:
    I was amazed to see Mike Hall using carbon wheels for this round the world record breaking attempt: http://road.cc/content/news/59716-inter ... record-kit

I guess they are a lot stronger than I thought and therefore may be an option for commuting, as long as it's not raining, which it is, most of the time.

He had discs though, which removes the main drawback (apart from cost) of carbon rims.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    yup, here's me commuting on my carbonwheels

Lol - TT helmets at 12mph..... That's a video to instantly make you hate the company and everyone involved in making the film :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......