removing pedals

Rudd
Rudd Posts: 264
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Does anyone have any hints for removing pedals? I have a pedal spanner and know about the reverse thread on the left hand side but try as I might I can't get them off! Any clues for gaining extra leverage?

Thanks!

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Put a bit of pipe on the ned of the pedal spanner, that'll give you extra leverage.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Rest the pedal on a ledge so it doesn't move forward (or backwards depending on what pedal you use).

Use a long handled spanner or hex key - do first partial turn with a hammer tap on spanner or hex key. The rest will be easy.

Use a little grease on the thread when you put it back on.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bit late but when fitting pedals don't tighten them up grunt-tight just nip them, and use a bit of grease on the threads too. Makes removal so much easier.
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    great advice - thanks!

I didn't fit the pedals so I've no idea how 'well' they were fitted - it was clearly a stronger man than me though!
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    styxd wrote:
    Put a bit of pipe on the ned of the pedal spanner, that'll give you extra leverage.

Agree.

I tried many methods, but this was the only one to really work. Did invite two of my biggest mates to help as well.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    i find garden tools quite handy for extra leverage - any aluminium rakes or whatever - just slit the end of the handle and put the spanner inside. Works a treat.
  • mr_dobbo
    mr_dobbo Posts: 53
    Personally I think it's a PITA how pedals seem to be going Allen key only now, 15mm spanner is easier IMO as more room away from frame. No reason not to have both is there?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    styxd wrote:
    yes, but be sure you are turning the right way
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    With the crank pointing forwards stand on the opposite side of the bike leaning over the top tube use an allen key. Place your right hand on the pedal an pull upwards on the allen key with your left hand. If that doesn't work try the same with one of these.
    http://www.parktool.com/product/profess ... rench-pw-4