Clicking BB or pedal

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
A few days ago thanks to the wonderful rain and associated flooding and a wrong turn (with a healthy dose of "meh, thats only a few inches deep") I found myself 2 feet under water and having to pedal my way out for 100 yards or so as to try and turn would have seen me taking an early bath.

Everything seemed fine once I got home but the next time I used the bike I heard a click-click sound when the right crank was down, everytime I turned the crank. It does the same thing when I back pedal as well. Even when Im light on the pedal it does it. Its gotten louder and frankly is embarrassing when I go past people :oops:

Im pretty sure its the bottom bracket, (hoping its not the pedals as they are literally 3 weeks old grr).

So what Im asking is:

1. Is it the bottom bracket or pedals
2. Fixable or a replacement needed ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    strip clean and grease. that is the only way to find out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Borrow a pair of pedals and see if the clicking goes, alternatively pedal one footed (swap feet after a few turns).
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Well ive had this problem for the last couple of weeks on my hybrid which is my daily commute to work so i took my pedals off my mtn bike and put them on the hybrid and hey presto no more noise! But my pedals were over a year old and done about 2500miles. You say yours are only 3wks old? Mmmmm dunno but as others say find another pair and just try them out. Cheaper than a new BB!

MAT
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    Turns out that cheap heavy metal pedals don't like being submerged in water. Cue some new decent sealed pedals that are half the weight and aren't likely to gouge holes in my legs :)