Your first crash/fall?

alex1rob
alex1rob Posts: 95
edited June 2012 in Road general
I had my first fall from a road bike this evening in the rain.

I had a chain gang going with some friends and led them into a corner that was quite steep and we were just going too quickly for the grip available. Front wheel slid out from beneath me and went straight down on shin and hip but I managed to get to my feet while sliding, bikes fine!

It was my first ride on my new shoes and pedals and I snapped the cleat in two! Shame. The worst bit is that my friend who followed me through the corner has broken the base of his thumb, I feel entirely responsible...

Still though, I heard that if you don't crash once a year you are not trying hard enough! Good to find my limits etc etc...

Comments

• ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I tend to knock myself unconscious at least once a year, first off must have been when i was about 3. Most recent was in January when i foolishly went over a drain cover whilst cornering and hit the ground pretty hard. Broke my right wrist and needed 2 stitches in my lip, i'd say my helmet kept me from becoming a vegetable!
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • alex1rob
    Ouch! You definitely don't let it knock your confidence then. Any tips for cornering in the rain? or is it a case of just slow down?
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Make sure you adjust your speed by braking before the corner to for best control of the bike.
  • alex1rob
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUgb1HLibd8 seeing this has me worried!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    alex1rob wrote:

Why? He was able to get up and keep riding...seems like a good crash to me.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    DavidJB wrote:
    alex1rob wrote:

Jens voigt crash in the TDF was far more serious!!!!
  • yeachan153
    yeachan153 Posts: 401
    Never had a fall before; but I was wandering how fast that cervelo rider was going before he crashed? He doesn't look to angled; I'm never sure how fast I can take a corner without sliding out like that.
  • gaspode
    gaspode Posts: 110
    first proper crash was probably aged about 10 on my Chopper - hit a bit of raised tarmac where a tree root had pushed through - front wheel went up and when it came down I went through the middle of those wappy handlebars (mine had the adjustable ones that I used to ride in 'layback' style = think they were later outlawed as being dangerous......). Second was when I dropped the same bike on some gravel trying to slide round a corner- still have the scar on my thigh where the brake lever embedded itself in my leg - how I loved that bike!
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I've had a few minor incidents:

Colliding with a stationary car - dislocated jaw
    Over the handlebars after gear slip on a hill - chin cut through to bone 8 stitches.
    Slipping on an icy cycle path falling into metal railing - torn knee ligament various lacerations

And currently sat with my 7 yr old nursing a grazed leg sustained this afternoon when she learnt about cycling on certain types of mud.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Luckily, I don't think that I've ever come off a road bike... the closest was perhaps the late 80s when the front end sprang out of a pot hole on a descent and smashed me in the face.

Mountain Bikes on the other hand.... cracked my ribs, snapped a finger, epic road rash and a haematoma the size of a water melon about two months ago.

Thrown over the handle bars like a human cannon and snapped both my hands back against my arms, that was pretty brutal.

A whole host of other minor stuff over the years.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    My first and only was a few weeks ago. Got hit, head on, by a cyclist at speed, cutting the corner on a lane (I was on the correct side of the lane and had absolutely no warning). We were both going fairly quick, must have been a combined speed of 35mph plus. We both came off and hit head to head like bulls charging each other. Two cracked helmets and saw a lot of stars! Couldn't believe nothing got broken, though my collar bone is still sore. It was quite an impact! So don't cut corners unless you can see what's coming! Hopefully that's my big off done for quite a while, glad you're not too hurt, sorry to hear about your mate. Accidents happen, just learn the lessons and keep on riding.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Hmm... Not had one yet apart from the usual teething troubles getting my brain used to cleats ... This thread is making me very nervous
  • alex1rob
    NWLondoner wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    alex1rob wrote:

True in terms of brutality.. But the video I linked just seemed to have no real cause...
  • alex1rob
    Gaspode wrote:
    first proper crash was probably aged about 10 on my Chopper - hit a bit of raised tarmac where a tree root had pushed through - front wheel went up and when it came down I went through the middle of those wappy handlebars (mine had the adjustable ones that I used to ride in 'layback' style = think they were later outlawed as being dangerous......). Second was when I dropped the same bike on some gravel trying to slide round a corner- still have the scar on my thigh where the brake lever embedded itself in my leg - how I loved that bike!

Ahh if we are talking about crashes when young, I've had my fair share! Probably the first was when I was 9 racing a friend outside my house, we turned down a downhill drive and somehow the wheel got tangled in some vines and I was catapulted down hill on my face.. I was off school for a week with the subsequent infection! I also seemed to never learn my lesson in the rain having had my feet slip off the pedal and perform an inadvertent foot jam ending up with me on the ground looking at my bike in the air about to fall on top of me..
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    alex1rob wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    alex1rob wrote:

True in terms of brutality.. But the video I linked just seemed to have no real cause...

This crash had no real cause...quite comical really but led to one of the most exciting finishes I've seen for a long time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ru3vGR8nck
  • alex1rob
    Oh I watched this at the time, amazing finish!
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    alex1rob wrote:

Ironic he should be riding for the Test Team - certainly tested a few bits, and that helmet needs binning now!

Looks like he was carrying too much speed into the bend - he's working the brakes and "thrupenny bit" cornering (youngsters, check the shape of an old coin :wink: ). Not too bad a crash though really - he slid well, and got back on his bike. I've gone down and split helmets down the middle before (and I'd only had it a couple of weeks - thankfully Giro had the crash replacement scheme).

You want to see a bad crash? Check this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtCaLYFKjo - I remember watching this live, and thought Abdu was a goner. 60kph+ on cobbles, with a hairnet... OUCH!!!!
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    alex1rob wrote:
    Ouch! You definitely don't let it knock your confidence then. Any tips for cornering in the rain? or is it a case of just slow down?

A bit of slow down, keep off the white lines and any drain/manhole covers and be smooth - and remember if it's been really hot, roads can be extra slippy when it rains.