Value For Money Disc/DisK Brakes...

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a set of brakes for my other half’s bike.

From reading a few threads, is it the general consensus that the latest generation of Shimano brakes are pretty much as good as you can get “bang for buck” wise, esp. the SLX and XT versions?

Lastly, what are they like to bleed? The lovely and easy bleed screw type or the cra ppy two syringe method of chasing (adding more) bubbles?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Shimano aren't syringe bleed as far as im aware. Although double syringe bleeding isn't any harder.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    What sort of brakes are on the bike now?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    The Deores are also good. And even the Shimano M445s which came with my bike were pretty good. If you don't want to spend that much you can buy mine, as I upgraded to XT the other week - which are miles better in fairness, but miles more expensive (and a bit heavier!).
  • Last week I tested 4 bikes and between them they had XT, SLX and Deore (596) brakes.

Tbh I could not tell the difference between them and for my use of road/light trail I would be happy with any of them.

They all stopped the same, they all felt the same with a nice on/off action and they all had what to me is a strange stubby lever (old school rider here - levers used to be twice as long as these).

Interestingly not one of these brakes had any disc rub whereas a couple of bikes in the shop with Formula and Avids had disc rub. Maybe a co-incidence - I am no expert.

The Deore don't have ice-tech so I guess the SLX/XT would be better re heat dissipation although how much this matters I don't know. A long while back I descended Wrynose Pass here in the Lakes with some ancient Hopes and they were just fine.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    get some second hand hopes ,they bleed the good old fasioned way , i hate all this seringe shit too .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    You can bleed Shimano brakes with a straw (I used the outer jacket of some telephone cable), a plastic bag and an elastic band..literally.

If you're on a budget the Deore's are great. My '06 M525's are still going strong and I'm pretty sure they weren't designed with Alpine downhill descents in mind. Will be upgrading to XT's (£125 delivered) in a couple of weeks as my Snap build is lacking brakes at the moment. SLX's won group test in one of the magazines a few weeks back too. Can't go wrong with any of them I reckon
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    What sort of brakes are on the bike now?

IIRC, Kooka cable brakes; they are the ones which moves both pads rather than letting the disc bend.
    b45her wrote:
    i hate all this seringe shoot too .

Tell me about it

Thanks for the respones, thinking will likly go for the SLX ones, our friends in Ireland have F&R for 155
  • having had enough of the elixirs, i've just ordered xt's from tweeks for about £165 delivered
  • bennett_346
    I bled elixirs for the first time two days ago and no problems at all. Just followed the instructions and was done in 15 minutes. Syringes aren't rocket science, you just push or pull when it says to.
  • I bled elixirs for the first time two days ago and no problems at all. Just followed the instructions and was done in 15 minutes. Syringes aren't rocket science, you just push or pull when it says to.

i fully grasp how to bleed brakes. but they are just shit, fact!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Elixirs are a good brake - when bled properly...

Cheap and light, and don't mind waiting for delivery:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hygiy-alum ... 028?item=2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Interestingly not one of these brakes had any disc rub whereas a couple of bikes in the shop with Formula and Avids had disc rub.
    Shimano brakes generally have more clearance. The lever is designed to move the pads less and less and less, along the lever travel, so it starts off by moving the pads to touch the disc, then increases the effective leverage to increase the braking force.

(Yes, Sonic - there's that misuse of "force" again :lol:)
  • bennett_346
    I bled elixirs for the first time two days ago and no problems at all. Just followed the instructions and was done in 15 minutes. Syringes aren't rocket science, you just push or pull when it says to.

i fully grasp how to bleed brakes. but they are just shoot, fact!
    Well they didn't let me down when it really mattered today, fact!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I got my 665's off an ebay seller for 115 inc discs, just had to swap the levers/hoses. 2 min job and excellent brakes. Might be cheaper elsewhere now, but at the time was best price I could find.
  • monkey_man_1
    monkey_man_1 Posts: 108
    i just changed my juicy 3 front brake to m785 xt and the difference is amazing! i have almost to much braking force avaiable as i found out locking up the front at the end of a fast downhill section lol. i kept the same disc but for the lever, hose and caliper was £63 delivered from rose, bargain!