Getting weight of my hands

mattjevans
mattjevans Posts: 253
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I'm changing out my stem for something shorter, but in terms of moving the saddle if I want to take some weight of my hands do I:
a) move the saddle forward (and up?) to shorten the reach a touch and get me more upright; OR
b) move the saddle back to get more weight over the pedals/BB

Obviously I can play around but I'd like to start in the right direction...

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd experiment with that one a bit as I guess it depends on both your bike geometry and your riding style.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • no9ismine
    no9ismine Posts: 45
    In generic terms, you want the seat low and forward so you don't have to lean forward and down so much. But agree with Waby about experimenting
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If you're getting uncomfortable on longer rides, don't assume that a shorter stem is the necessarily answer. Sometimes a longer stem will better distribute your weight, or move the load on your upper body to stronger muscles.

Rise also has an effect on handling and comfort. The easiest way to experiment with stem height is to leave your fork steerer long and move the stem up and down it, using spacers. This doesn't always look great, but it's a lot cheaper than changing stems.

As little as 10mm on a new stem length can make a big difference in the handling character , I would only be changing the stem length for this reason.
  • Not that attractive, but always worth a try (especially if your LBS will trial fit in the shop) is an adjustable rise stem. They're about £25 but are a good way to try options before potentially buying a fixed angle stem
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    omegas wrote:
    The easiest way to experiment with stem height is to leave your fork steerer long and move the stem up and down it, using spacers. This doesn't always look great, but it's a lot cheaper than changing stems.

This