Older full sus frame

absv
absv Posts: 149
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Im looking at getting an older full suspension frame, only got about £250 to spend on it. I'd like to put my 120mm Rebas on it and Stans Crest wheels but apart from that I'm open to opinions.

Any recommendations or ones to avoid? There's an 07 Giant ReIgn and 2010 Boardman in the classified at the moment, opinions on these? It would mainly be used for trail centres with a bit of the Peaks thrown in for good measure.

Cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Reign needs longer forks 140-150mm, boardman are ok.

older giant trance would work with 120mm.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Hi Absv

I bought a Trance 3 07/08 for my first full suss - I put revelation u-turns on it which took it up to 130 but it was really built for 120mm - really nice.

I've just upgraded this to a new bike, so have this spare - I was going to put it on fleabay this weekend. I'm looking for about £160 for it if you're interested?
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hi Absv

I bought a Trance 3 07/08 for my first full suss - I put revelation u-turns on it which took it up to 130 but it was really built for 120mm - really nice.

I've just upgraded this to a new bike, so have this spare - I was going to put it on fleabay this weekend. I'm looking for about £160 for it if you're interested?

Bargain.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • absv
    I'm still looking, would have had the one from DaveNewcastle but it's a small and I need a Medium. I keep hearing about people finding ones for £150ish, where the hell do you find them?! :)

I think ive got it narrowed down to a Specialized FSR XC or Giant Trance but I'll look at anything that'll take a 120mm fork. I think the Trance takes a straight 1 1/8th steerer and has a 'normal' headset but can anyone confirm this?

If you've got something stashed in the garage, feel free to post/PM me. It'll be getting sprayed so scratches/rub marks dont matter.

Cheers
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    absv wrote:
    I'm still looking, would have had the one from DaveNewcastle but it's a small and I need a Medium. I keep hearing about people finding ones for £150ish, where the hell do you find them?! :)

"patience, dear boy, patience"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Trance is far better than the Specialized FSR XC. Until 2010 they did have a 1 1/8" steerer.
    Great frames, wish I kept mine
  • absv
    Well just been let down by the seller of a Trance! :cry: are the Stumpjumpers FSR's (about 2007) any better than the 'normal' FSR XC as there's bugger all Trance frames around and I don't 'do' patience :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The 07/08 Stumpies were good bikes and would take your fork. Better than the basic XC for sure and a capable trail bike.

I wasnt a huge fan of that era of Trance's but each to their own (I rode one for a day in the alps and found the setup poor but I blamed a bad fork and an overly long stem, narrow bar combo so I guess you wont have the same issues!)
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Trance is far better than the Specialized FSR XC. Until 2010 they did have a 1 1/8" steerer.
    Great frames, wish I kept mine

No, it isn't. The Spesh performs very well, far better is a vast over statement. The FSR XC is almost identical to the stumpies in certain models/years, only a slightly different alloy (m4 vs m5).