Re-fitting chain on

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Tonight I removed my chain, via the master link, gave a good clean and lube.

My question is: Is it ok to refit the wheel first and then put the chain back on, using the master link?
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    jeannot18 wrote:

My question is: Is it ok to refit the wheel first and then put the chain back on, using the master link?
    JC

I don't take the wheel out when I take the chain off for cleaning. It's not that fiddly to re route the chain and clip it back together provided you've shifted onto the small cog at the back.
  • jeannot18
    cooldad wrote:
    Makes no difference.

Thanks Cooldad.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    jeannot18 wrote:

JC

I don't take the wheel out when I take the chain off for cleaning. It's not that fiddly to re route the chain and clip it back together provided you've shifted onto the small cog at the back.
    But it is easier to clean the cassette and dropout area etc with the wheel out - might as well do it at the same time as the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jeannot18
    I had a puncture to fix as well, hence removing the wheel, but much better also to clean all the cassette and derailleur without the wheel on.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    cooldad wrote:
    But it is easier to clean the cassette and dropout area etc with the wheel out - might as well do it at the same time as the chain.
    Good point.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'd always put the wheel back on first. I'd only end up routing the chain the wrong way otherwise!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sadly, once you take the wheel AND the chain off at the same time, you should never, ever put the wheel back in place.
    It's obvious when you think about it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Why?
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I'd be interested to know why as well......
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What, me?
    Well, it's obvious, isn't it?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yes it is.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    You been trolled...

There should be a thread called Yee's bridge....
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :lol:
    Ok, I'll level with you. I DID have a witty remark that would have redefined the world of comedy, but, er, I can't remember what it was.
    So, let's use Occam's razor and find the correct answer by eliminating all impossible answers.

Here's the first:
    You shouldn't replace the wheel because if you do, the inland revenue will mess up your tax return, and take your wife's left testicle as payment.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    the inland revenue will mess up your tax return, and take your wife's left testicle as payment.

It's not unlikely, they already have her right one. She compensates by keeping mine in a glass next to her bed. :shock: :cry:
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    umm... hazarding a guess that this is playing on "wheel AND chain at the SAME time", hence if you'd done this you'd probably have mangled something in the process... of course having seen various YhM posts elsewhere I could be totally wrong :wink: