woodhead & snakepass. opinions please.

naz1
naz1 Posts: 28
Hi Biker's, weather permitting after last saturday's near death experience (bad idea going to cat n fiddle when its foggy, hailstone n windy :lol: ) im thinking of parking my car in hyde and cycling from and to as subject above.basically its on A628 A616 A6102 A6101 then right back to where i started A57.

all in all looking at 50 odd mile's for the whole trip...

am i better off cycling clockwise or anti-clockwise. i would prefer to struggle up-hill at first then down-hill on my return. any help appreciated, cheers naz.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    never been - tell me about it when you get back, maybe I'll give it a shot.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Having lived in the area for 30 + years, avoid the A628 (Link road - waiting for by-pass from the M1) :o
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Have you been up Braid fell, Dumfries and Galloway ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Clockwise is best. Over to Glossop up the Snake, long ride down to LadyBower, over the Strines and then a little climb up to Woodhead and then a nice descent back. Though I dont know the road after the left turn to Glossop.

Its a good Sunday ride. Not to be recommended during the week though.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • I know these roads well and despite being local rarely cycle on them
    On the handful of times I have though its been luuuuurvly

OK the cons are as follows:

They are both fast and busy, the Woodhead more than the A57
    The Woodhead is the more open and wider, the Snake from Doctors Gate (just down from summit) to Ladybower is narrow with lots of blind bends - issue here is some daft twat overtakes bike going into blind bend as vehicle comes other way leading to twat aggressively pulling in and squeezing you or worse

If you really must tick the box then go for it very early on a Sunday - as I will probably do this weekend as part of my Marmotte preps

Firstly just forget the Woodhead as its too fast and too busy
    Instead take in Holme Moss and add this from Crowden to Flouch depending on which way you choose

My pref is to climb the A57 from Glossop so I would park here to do the A57 as early as possible and ride over to Strines, cutting over Strines Moor to Langsett, then Flouch roundabout to Holmsfield and Holme Moss leaving the scary Woodhead 1km stretch before cutting through the B6105 back to Glossop

See you there???

cheers
  • naz1
    never been - tell me about it when you get back, maybe I'll give it a shot.
    you funny guy.. all the way up in scotland.. aah we jimmy.. if your ever down here i want a bin bag full of scottish rolls. delicious...lol

thank's for the info people's..
    See you there???
    cheers
    messaged :D
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I know these roads well and despite being local rarely cycle on them
    On the handful of times I have though its been luuuuurvly

OK the cons are as follows:

They are both fast and busy, the Woodhead more than the A57
    The Woodhead is the more open and wider, the Snake from Doctors Gate (just down from summit) to Ladybower is narrow with lots of blind bends - issue here is some daft fool overtakes bike going into blind bend as vehicle comes other way leading to fool aggressively pulling in and squeezing you or worse

If you really must tick the box then go for it very early on a Sunday - as I will probably do this weekend as part of my Marmotte preps

Firstly just forget the Woodhead as its too fast and too busy
    Instead take in Holme Moss and add this from Crowden to Flouch depending on which way you choose

My pref is to climb the A57 from Glossop so I would park here to do the A57 as early as possible and ride over to Strines, cutting over Strines Moor to Langsett, then Flouch roundabout to Holmsfield and Holme Moss leaving the scary Woodhead 1km stretch before cutting through the B6105 back to Glossop

See you there???

cheers

You could park at the hotel at the end of the M67 and drop into Glossop (A57) and follow the above. Strines is on the left on the climb after Ladybower. As you climb to Holmsfield you can go left and cut thro' to the A628 (steepish climb involved 12%?). The descent back to Glossop is good as you can get a good speed up. You can then go straight thro' Tintwistle and Crowden and follow the road back up to the M67 or on the A628 take the left at the reservoir (signed Glossop) follow the road thro' to Glossop and back. A628 > Langsett is rubbish unless you get up v.early. Traffic is too fast and there are a lot of HGVs. And the dual carriageway from Flouch is equally awful
    M.Rushton
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've lived in Sheffield for over 4 years now and not once have I been tempted to ride a bike over Woodhead or Snake Pass. Horrible, horrible roads for a bike with all the traffic. Maybe early Sunday morning would be ok, but any other time I wouldn't even consider it. So many nice climbs in the Peaks I don't see the point in doing those two - they're not exactly tough climbs anyway.
    More problems but still living....
  • naz1
    well, judging by what people say i will leave it for a an early sunday morning... may have to venture round buxton. its just im fed up of rolling round manchester. or ill drive to cat n fiddle and ride out from there. will i get booked or something parking at the cat n fiddle?
  • naz - thanks for the message but as Im leaving at 6AM I dont think youll be interested :)
    I honestly wouldnt climb the Snake at any time other than early on a Sunday and just wouldnt ever bother with the Woodhead at all

As discussed there are plenty of other climbs in the Peak, the Cat and Fiddle is also a goodie and as its heavily policed with a wide carriageway and open corners isnt actually that bad an option
    You can also easily park up there too

Some stats:

A57 from Glossop - 6km @ 6%
    Cat and Fiddle - 9km @ 4%
    Holme Moss - 5km @ 7%
    Unfashionable sleepy climb out of Hathersage - 4km @ 6%

Im obviously curious about the other climbs mentioned by the other poster in Sheffield...............
  • naz1
    naz - thanks for the message but as Im leaving at 6AM I dont think youll be interested :)
    that's my kind of time.. it give's me time at home then after with the family. i regularly go early saturday morning as i have family too. just looking somewhere safe to park my car.