Photoshop type prog

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited June 2012 in The hub
I have recently got a new computer, and have been using Corel Paint Shop Pro X. My new computer has nowt on it. I am after something similar to this and Photoshop that I can get for free. I need to be able to have layer effects, and the ability to sharpen (quite a few seem not to have this).

What's a good bet?

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    http://www.getpaint.net/

iirc that's got sharpening
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    If you're using it for work, Sonic, then have a look at Adobe's new monthly rates for Photoshop. Might be able to write off the cost.
    GIMP comes recommended quite often, but I reckon it's a pile of lukewarm dog poo.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Photoshop Express is a free online storage facility with a pretty good editor.
    I've not had it long so haven't explored all the features.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    delcol wrote:
    photoshop cs4 here,, and you may find it free if you look hard enough..
    not legally, you won't.
  • blister pus
    If you want full on bells and whistles then GIMP 2.8 has just dropped with 3 years worth of dev in it, now with 'single window user mode' for those that like that kinda thing, etc. Not sure how many of the plugins and scripts work in Windows yet but you won't get a more fully featured package for the money.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, check GIMP out.
    It's horrible though. But you won't know how horrible until you check it.
  • blister pus
    It's been completely redesigned in many respects. A lot more intuitive from a Windows-tards perspective.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It's been completely redesigned in many respects.
    Yes, I know, I've used it. It's horrible.
  • blister pus
    Strange, most seem to like it going off the feedback it got so far. Still. You don't count. lol.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    GIMP always seems to have fans. I have no idea why.
    Wanna open RAW files? Oh, use some other software to do that, with which GIMP will very loosely integrate.
    Want to use full colour depth? Er, no.
    Want a fast, fluid responsive GUI? Look somewhere else.

It's just gash. It really is. On a machine where I don't have photoshop, and my options are to either use GIMP or nothing, I'll opt for nothing.
    YMMMV.
  • blister pus
    Haven't got a clue what you're talking about in Linux, none of that applies as I know where all the plugins, experimental plugins and scripts live. 2.8 still takes five seconds to load everything in Linux but it's as fluid and snappy as anything else when running. Biggest problem with GIMP for Windows is the plugins don't get ported over quickly enough, sometimes not at all. Which will leave a few high and dry and frustrated.

For most it's just a case of tuning into how the program ticks, like learning photoshop or any other complex software and carrying on doing what they do.
  • I have no problems with gimp even on windows, runs nice and quick and i can accomplish anything i need to with it, such as animated gifs or image editing/touching up.
    Cant beat free.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    in Linux, none of that applies
    Stop making assumptions about people.
    You should know I'm agnostic about OSs by now...
    Screenshot.png

since this isn't the first time I've had to correct your narrow minded view that you are somehow a superior being because you run linux, therefore everyone who disagrees must be a windows-tard.
    Some of us use a very large variety of things, and form our opinions based upon experience, not some small minded agenda that must be pushed on people.
    When I dismiss GIMP as an useless waste of hard drive space, that is an opinion I've reached by actually trying to use it. It has nothing to do with OSs, or with it being free, open source software.
    The fact that it's free and open source doesn't excuse something from being utter shite.
  • blister pus
    You've never corrected anything in your life. And I wouldn't trust your integrity further than I can squirt. And if you read what I put it's perfectly accurate and just because you don't like using something, or see no value in it, doesn't a) mean you're necessarily right and b) mean everybody else feels the same, quite the opposite in fact. Like I said. You just don't count.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    just because you don't like using something, or see no value in it, doesn't a) mean you're necessarily right and b) mean everybody else feels the same, quite the opposite in fact. Like I said. You just don't count.
    The same can be said of you.
    I've never said it's more than my opinion of GIMP.
    Now let me disagree with you and kindly pi** the f*ck off.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    For free.

GIMP if you want almost everything Photoshop does and can get your head round it.

Paint.net if you want something easy to learn that will do most of what you want.

Pixlr - http://pixlr.com/editor/ - if you want a purely web-based Photoshop 'clone' that is pretty damn good for what it is and can be accessed from whatever PC/tablet/etc. you happen to be working from.

slainte :D rob
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    pHz wrote:
    Pixlr - http://pixlr.com/editor/ - if you want a purely web-based Photoshop 'clone' that is pretty damn good for what it is and can be accessed from whatever PC/tablet/etc. you happen to be working from.

very nice

can you save it as a project file or just the final image
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    You can save it as a project file. If they still have the free storage service running you can even save it in their cloud for access from anywhere.

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    supersonic wrote:
    I have recently got a new computer, and have been using Corel Paint Shop Pro X. My new computer has nowt on it. I am after something similar to this and Photoshop that I can get for free. I need to be able to have layer effects, and the ability to sharpen (quite a few seem not to have this).

What's a good bet?

I bought psp photo x2 off amazon last year for 10-12 quid, I know its not free but I got fed up of having issues with downloaded software, especially when its one I use so much
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp