Bike computer magnets v spokes

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I need the simplest of simple computers but am concerned that cheaper computers will have magnets that aren't designed to go on aero blade spokes (or whatever we call them).

Is that true? Are some brands compatible with various spoke types and others not? Does one have to pay more than the £15 I was hoping to get one for?

Ta.
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I can confirm that my Aldi special does not fit on my flat bladed spokes - only fits on normal round spokes.

I am not unhappy about this as I was only getting dishartened by looking at the slow speeds on the computer anyway.

Get the nice wheels and smash the computer with an axe and throw it in next doors garden :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it's any use my cheapo Halfords wireless one fits on the slightly aero spokes of my RS10's.

I say cheapo; my son bought it and I nicked it off his bike when he went to Uni.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    You can buy Cateye magnets separately for about £2-3 and they tend to fit bladed spokes ok in my experience.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I just use a phone app.

I'd have the phone with me anyway, and realistically going uphill I don't want to know how slow I am, and going downhill I shouldn't be looking at the bars. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Tesco value magnet goes on bladed spokes!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    get a neodymium magnet, fix to spoke with expoxy or kapton tape

look on ebay, 50 magnets for under 3 quid, including postage, for instance...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-50-small ... 576wt_1131

...plenty of other sellers for same/similar, take your pick
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    Sounds like I should assume the stock magnet is unlikey to fit.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I had 2 from Halfords an own brand and a boardman on both you could turn magnet other way for slot for aero spokes, both were under £40 the boardman was very good.

Now on a Garmin but the boardman did me well for couple of years 8)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bladed+spoke+magnet

You're welcome.

(even though there isn't a UK version so they are US search results haha!)
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bladed+spoke+magnet

You're welcome.

(even though there isn't a UK version so they are US search results haha!)

What's the point in having a forum for like-minded individuals if you are pointed to google when you ask a question?

I have a Blackburn Atom 4.0 and you can turn the magnet thing around to fit flat blade spokes.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Cateye Velo Wireless, currently available for about £26, fits flat or round. Probably safe to assume the cheaper wired version is the same.