Finding t-max using Watt bike

elduderinoo
elduderinoo Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've been reading this interesting article here:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutri ... e-interval

I'm lucky enough to belong to a gym with 6 watt bikes in it. Watt bikes allow you to measure Peak Power Output. I want to find my t-max using the info in the article above....there's just one thing that confuses me about it though and I'm hoping someone can clarify for me.

In point one (Find your t-max) is says:

"the number of watts you produce just before collapsing is your peak power output, or PPO."

So I've cycled, starting at 100 watts, and increasing by 30 every minute....until I'm totally spent (cadence is around 60)....is my Peak Power Output (PPO) the watts that are displaying on the wattbike at that precise moment before I can't go anymore? Is it that simple?

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I'm no expert, but it sounds about right.

I guess you will start off cycling at your usual cadence while the effort is low and then increase the resistance as described. Obviously power is related to both torque (how hard it is to turn the pedals) AND cadence.

As you increase the resistance, there will come a time where your cadence will drop (and hence power), but you could theoretically keep increasing the resistance.

The goal is to increase power and not resistance, so you will need to have a few goes to work out how you produce the most power.

I got this from someone about Power Based Workouts:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5L ... B1yuc/edit

.... which might be useful.
    Simon
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    As you can probably put in one last big momentary effort before you collapse, the power output at the point of collapse is not particularly useful. This is why exercise physiologists use 'maximum minute power' - that is the mean power over the final minute.

Unfortunately, its not possible to do a smooth ramp on a Wattbike - in fact I doubt that its even possible to keep to a set power output for a minute. To achieve a smooth ramp you need a proper programmable ergometer which forces you to work at the required level. Also, the final result is protocol dependent - that is it depends on what your ramp (or steps) are - for example you will get a different result if you use a 30Wmin ramp to a 20Wmin ramp.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Steven17 wrote:
    jhkh.gifsounds good :roll:

oh dear.. you might expect a consequence of ignoring Rule 7

Forum rules:

1) Before posting on the forums, read these rules: http://www.futurenet.com/futureonline/t ... itions.asp

2) Don't quote the entire message that you're responding to, only the pertinent passage.

3) Use proper English, do not use 'txt tlk'. Do NOT post messages all in caps.

4) The forum is not an "online chat room" for inane banter or stupid postings. Please use software specifically designed for this purpose, i.e. MSN Messenger, ICQ etc...

5) No cross posting. Post your message to the appropriate forum and nowhere else or it will be locked or deleted without warning.

6)Do not post for sale messages apart from in the Classifieds section: index.php?c=5

7) Don't post just to increase your post count. If you have nothing to say on a certain matter then don't post.

8 ) Members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of deriding that forum's topic and/or members.

9) Do not "bump" your topics back to the top of the forum boards. This is not fair on other users, any topics found to be bumped will be removed.

10) The forum has a search facility, please use it, the chances are your topic has been posted before, don't double post! search.php

11) Make your topic title descriptive. Do not use titles like "HEEELLLPPP PPPLEEASE!!!!" as these topics are often overlooked, and may well be deleted.

12) Please be considerate when posting long links. If it is going to create a horizontal scroll bar, shorten the link. Mods who find oversized links that create horizontal scrollbars will delete your post. Use http://www.tinyurl.com to shorten your link if you find that easier than forum code.

13) The size of signatures should be kept to a minimum (two or three lines), the advertising of items for sale is NOT allowed in the signature, this includes Ebay. Make sure your signature won't be mistaken for being part of your post.

14) Do not create multiple accounts.

15) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark.

16) Do not post other people's personal information on here, without their express permission (posted by them on the forum). This includes, but is not limited to, e-mail addresses, phone numbers and postal addresses.

Summary: Behave nicely. If doing it in 'the real world' would be frowned upon, don't do it here.Zaskar Carbon Team
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

@springtide - thanks for the link to the doc. The interavls look interesting. I'm going to try and work a few in to my training.

@blackhands - I thought that basing the ppo on the reading just before you break was strange - that's why I posted.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    blackhands wrote:
    As you can probably put in one last big momentary effort before you collapse, the power output at the point of collapse is not particularly useful. This is why exercise physiologists use 'maximum minute power' - that is the mean power over the final minute.

It says specifically
    The number of watts you produce just before collapsing is your peak power output, or PPO.

Why would final minute power a better measure to use?
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    blackhands wrote:

It says specifically
    The number of watts you produce just before collapsing is your peak power output, or PPO.

Why would final minute power a better measure to use?

This is what I was wondering Tom. Wouldn't it be better to use an average over the whole period or something.
  • @elduderinoo - I work for Wattbike, please email me at mattm@wattbike.com if you would like us to help you further.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    This is what I was wondering Tom. Wouldn't it be better to use an average over the whole period or something.

Well, no. Why should it?

It's just one way of setting a baseline, then you do the intervals at x times that power.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    FTP (1 hour power) is MUCH more useful.
    More problems but still living....