Brand new bike!

ccfc
ccfc Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to spend £800 max on a full suspension bike and am stuck between which one to get -

This RR is £700 - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91 ... 0096.html#

Diamondback £700 - http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2010

What you guys think between these two? Or are there any other bikes to consider at this price range?

Many thanks!!!

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    RR is much better.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I wouldn't say much better at all, they are well matched on suspension from my experience of the Recon Silver and Epicon/Raidon stuff.

Tektro hydros on the RR are budget but I don't know anything about the Quad dimes so can't comment on brakes.

Difficult to compare drivetrain as the DB isn't listed. SLX/Deore is a good spec on the RR.

Everything else is negligible really at this price range. I would try them both if possible and then decide based on what feels best.

BUT

What are your reasons for wanting full sus? For £700 you can get a much lighter, better spec'd hardtail with a much better fork.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    In my experience Epicon and Raidon stuff has been truly awful. I've seen raidon forks break from cross country in less than a year and similarly with their rear shocks - broken in months of light riding and felt awful when they did work. Yes, they were looked after properly. The Epicon fork is an exception, that's a good fork. But it isn't on that bike.

Tektro Aurigas are good solid reliable stoppers. I've heard good things about the quads but never seen cheap pads etc for them. Drivetrain not listed on the diamondback but cheap sram is crap compared to good shimano which is what the RR has.

I would prefer the x fusion rear shock over the suntour, especially in terms of servicing it etc .
  • Twelly
    Good point, well presented.

I would still go with a good hardtail if it were my money. I would rather buy the 8.1 than the 9.1 and enjoy my £200.

EDIT: I didn't notice it was Epicon rear shock, Raidon fork. Thought it was the other way round. No experience with Epicon rear shocks myself but the Epicon fork is good you're right.

I would disagree with you about the Raidon fork though. I liked it. Not as good as a Recon but still ok.
  • ccfc
    I think I would like a FS bike, for the comfort when I go down bumpy trails and for the forest etc... I am not that much of a serious rider but I am looking to get into it. I currently have an old standard kona hard trail.
  • Twelly
    What Kona do you have? Spec list if poss? If it is a decent bike you may benefit from just saving money and upgrading.

Fair enough if you want comfort but be aware you could get a better performing bike for your money if you dropped the idea of rear sus.

As I said before, if you like both of those bikes, try them before you make up your mind. Do some research on the components rather than the bike as a whole e.g. google 'Suntour Raidon fork reviews'
  • Johnnyvee
    Johnnyvee Posts: 67
    You could also include more options if you take s look at places like Pauls cycles on line...they're having a bit of a cleat out and there's this

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p2162

Not sure how spec matches to the others.

Sheffield decathlon currently have a few RR 9.1 in and they do look smart. They're ok for test rides too which i would suggest you must try....
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    My 9.1 is great fun to ride. If you want full sus and like me dont have deep pockets then its a fine choice esp if its £100 cheaper now. I could never afford or justify spending thousands of pounds on a bike. I wouldnt do it justice either tho.
  • ccfc
    snowjho wrote:
    My 9.1 is great fun to ride. If you want full sus and like me dont have deep pockets then its a fine choice esp if its £100 cheaper now. I could never afford or justify spending thousands of pounds on a bike. I wouldnt do it justice either tho.

I have the same thoughts snowjho, I have reserved the 9.1 and will view it on sunday, I have noticed it is £100 cheaper now for the next 4 weeks apparently!

here is my kona, basic and old like i said http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike
  • At that price i would go for the Anthem (assuming that it fits).
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • ccfc
    I can get the giant in large or medium, 18/19 inch. I am about 5ft 11 so think I will get a large.

DO you guys really think the Giant? is it worth it for the £200 more than the RR, has worse gears apparently.
  • Twelly
    Giant has better frame, better fork and better shock - all the expensive bits to upgrade. Yes the drivetrain is a bit lower down the ranks but the rear mech is still good (Deore) and will work absolutely fine. Front mech is Alivio which is a bit cheaper but higher spec front mechs are cheap to buy and they all do the same job anyway. Alivio will not be bad. maybe just not as light or crisp as XT or higher. You get a good range of gears with both bikes which is more important.

Oh and the Giant has better brakes.

Whether it is £200 better is up to you and whether you want to spend that much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    5'11" I'd suggest a medium.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ccfc
    I have a 18inch hardtail at the moment and it seems quite small so think i might try a large(19inch). I will not be upgrading any parts etc so I am not sure what to do! save the £200 as the RR will prob do me fine or pay the extra £200 for the giant
  • Twelly
    Both will be much better than your current ride and both are fairly good value so you can't lose really.

Try them both out for size and you should be able to decide then.

Failing that, pick the prettiest one, that's always a good call. Everyone knows the shiniest bikes are the best.
  • Twelly
    ccfc wrote:
    I will not be upgrading any parts

Famous last words...
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ccfc wrote:
    I have a 18inch hardtail at the moment and it seems quite small so think i might try a large(19inch). I will not be upgrading any parts etc so I am not sure what to do! save the £200 as the RR will prob do me fine or pay the extra £200 for the giant
    look at it this way,get the RR and save £100 on a £800 bike, or get the giant and save £500 on a £1400 bike, or as said earlier, just get the one you like the look of the most :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • ccfc
    will need pedals with the giant, then shoes as well. plus the giants delivery charge from pauls £15. this is all going to mount up i think! hmmmm

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p3618
  • Twelly
    Why do you need to buy shoes? What do you usually wear when riding?
  • ccfc
    trainers, just looked at flat pedals for £30 but think i want to get spd ones which would be about £40 then I would need shoes
  • Twelly
    Well if cost is an issue at the moment just buy some cheap flats to keep you going then go clipless when you can afford to. You haven't ridden clipless yet so you won't be missing anything.

Plus I would say get used to a new bike first before you jump into SPD's. Your new bike, whatever you choose will ride a lot different to your old one, you don't want a new bike to get used to AND learning to ride clipless at the same time.
  • ccfc
    ORDER TOTAL £942.97 from pauls cycles which includes giant bike, welgo flats, and mud guards! hmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do?! you sure to get this giant than the rockrider?! cheers for the help.

I will wait to get spds.
  • Twelly
    Without test-riding? Neither
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    Go for the Giant - long-term it's a better bike as all the main items are quality.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
    Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You just missed just, just a few times!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Without test-riding? Neither

Test riding? Where? The carpark at the back of the LBS or down the road infront of it? That'll help wont it.

Personally I'd go with the Anthem over the RR by miles, it'll be worth paying the extra if you can see yourself (which you will) getting more and more into it.
  • ccfc
    ok i think i will ring them up and see what they can do! giant it looks like it will be, unless something else appears in the next week! i will sleep on it
  • Ive had an anthem and they are fantastic bikes. I think id spend the extra and get the anthem.

Also...the giant comes with quite a long stem, so id go with the medium. Reason being, im 6ft and i went for a large and it felt too long.