Do tyres need to "bed in"?

TKF
TKF Posts: 279
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I bought some tyres a while back but never got round to fitting them.

I'll be giving my bike the once over tomorrow before loading it up for a sportive this weekend so I may as well pop them on. The first chance I'll get to turn a wheel will be over the start line.

Are new tyres likely to be bit "slippy"? If so, how long do they typically take to start keying into the road surface?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    they can be a bit slippier, especially on wet/shiny surfaces

just needs a bit of scuffing on the road, fastest if thre road is dry, or you can use some fine abrasive to do it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    It's possible they are still covered in oils and release agents from the moulding process so go easy for a few miles,extra care in damp/greasy conditions.
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Ta.

Depending on the weather report for Sunday I might have to give it a bit of a scuff up tomorrow.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Some sandpaper should do the trick.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Or just a quick wipe with a clean rag and some hot water.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The rubber lines seem to take ages to go though. Not that it is a grip issue.

I put some new Schwalbe Durano S tyres on recently and after 300 miles the centre line is only just about gone.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    Ive found they do take time do bed in, here is my latest expiences -

Cont. Gaterskins - 25 miles
    Bontrager ??? - 50 miles
    Vittoria Rubino Pro's - 100+ miles

Softer tyres are more slippy (is that a word?) to begin with, but bed in quicker.
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    I had to put a new rear tyre on my bike the night before the Tour of Wessex a couple of weekends ago. I use Michelin Krylions and there was a clear shiny layer on the tyre. So I just ran my hand around it with quite a bit of pressure (enough to leave a bit of a sore mark on my palms) which rubbed off the shiny layer. I then went for a 2 mile ride, and was all sorted for the ride the following day. No problems on the day itself.