Brooks B17 saddle - proofhide?

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
the bumpf that came with this saddle on my new bike says i gotta obtain proofhide and apply it underside etc etc.

I havent.

I know its a traditional leather jobbie im gonna mould to the shape of my own ass cheeks yadda yadda yadda but do I REALLY need to get this snakeoil?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Dubbin. All you need to know.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You've got to protect the bottom from water, if you're running guards probably wont be an issue, but the proofhide get sucked into the leather and softens it up too.

I'd look at a Brooks as an ivestment, if you treat it right you wont need another saddle as long as it fits you. My father in law gave his to a clubmate when he quit cycling in his 40's, it's still in regular use now, my father in law is 83.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • iclestu
    CiB wrote:
    dubbin?!

That the same as gubbin?

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    iclestu wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    dubbin?!

That the same as gubbin?
    Dubbin and Proofhide are basically the same thing.

Dubbin from the days of leather walking boots.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iclestu
    prawny wrote:
    You've got to protect the bottom from water, if you're running guards probably wont be an issue, but the proofhide get sucked into the leather and softens it up too.
    so as long as the bottom stays dry (full mudguards) all the proofhide's gonna do is hasten the breaking in process?

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    prawny wrote:

I'd look at a Brooks as an ivestment, if you treat it right you wont need another saddle as long as it fits you. My father in law gave his to a clubmate when he quit cycling in his 40's, it's still in regular use now, my father in law is 83.
    Quite right. It's not a big job or just bumf - leather does require that extra bit of maintenance if you want it to last. Apply some beneath the saddle and then, occasionally, on the surface. You wipe off the stuff on the surface but let the stuff you apply underneath soak in. Easily done, not expensive - a tub of Proofhide lasts a long time. I expect you could use something else, but I bought the proprietary Proofhide, and as I say, it hardly broke the bank. I've been riding on Brooks saddles for thirty years and they are worth the investment.
  • iclestu
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Quite right. It's not a big job or just bumf - leather does require that extra bit of maintenance if you want it to last. Apply some beneath the saddle and then, occasionally, on the surface. You wipe off the stuff on the surface but let the stuff you apply underneath soak in. Easily done, not expensive - a tub of Proofhide lasts a long time. I expect you could use something else, but I bought the proprietary Proofhide, and as I say, it hardly broke the bank. I've been riding on Brooks saddles for thirty years and they are worth the investment.

yeah - fair enough. You convinced me. Ordered some :)

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Bit late, but FWIW I used some olive oil underneath and leather polish (shoe) on top. Two years later no issues.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.