Elbow Pads

chiefinspector
chiefinspector Posts: 153
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to buy a new set of elbow pads after falling off my bike and bashing my elbow off a rock. Any suggestions?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    poc bone elbow guards.. these things are amazing they stay in place when you need them and they comfy you forget you wearing them.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Couple of mates swear by the 661 rythym's for all round use.
    Only ones i've tried are 661 chicken wings and they are not that good IMO.

I need some decent ones myself so will keep an eye on here.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I use Fox Launch Pro, comfy, loads of protection and have saved me loads of times.

Get medium unless your built like Arnie, I got large and they were too big.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    For casual forget its there armor, try g form pads. I use them on my knees, you forget theyre there entirely and since ive fell off several times on rocks i haven't felt a thing.

They're soft but harden in impacts.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    DodgeT wrote:
    Couple of mates swear by the 661 rythym's for all round use.
    Have some of these meself. I wouldn't like to crash really hard in them but for those ohshittheregoesthefrontwheel moments when you always seem to land on your forearm/elbow they are most excellent

Thin and light enough to put in a rucksack for those gnar-mince rides
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    They saved my mate twice in the last week, first at cop when a root grabbed his front wheel and chucked him off, second at the bottom of lower cliff when he decided he wanted to carry straight on instead of going round the berm :)
    Both times straight on the elbows, they certainly do take a bit of a hammering, but as you say, wouldn't reckon they'd do much against a BIG impact. Still, be better than flesh.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    DodgeT wrote:
    ...the bottom of lower cliff when he decided he wanted to carry straight on instead of going round the berm :)

:)
  • Thanks for all the replies. I'll do some research on all the pads that have been metioned.

The fall i had was rather embarrasing. I was out with a friend who has just rekindled his love of mountain biking after years of heavy drinking. Due to this he's not the most fit of people so i was continually having to wait for him to catch up. On one section of fast single track, i slowed down to allow him to catch up. My head was turned round while the bike was moving forward slowly. As soon as i got a glimpse of him i turned my head round only to find that i had veered off the track. A log just happened to be at the side of the track but there was no way i could have avoided it. Went clean over the handle bars and elbow smacked right against a rock :shock: .

At least he got a good laugh out of it :) .