Internet speed help?

kentphil
kentphil Posts: 479
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I phoned Virgin Media about my internet speed today and they remotely accessed my laptop. In safe mode i get the full 20m, but in normal mode its about 8 or 9. They said some program is limiting my speed in normal mode. Does anyone know what sort of program this might be thats limiting my speed?

thanks if anyone can help me!

Its a wireless connection, but they tested it by ethernet cable too.
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
2004 Giant TCR

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    can you not have a look at what processes are running. When I was on vista for some reason there were 2 firefox.exes running - it really slowed it up.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    sounds like spyware/malware to me!

have you run a virus scanner recently? try ccleaner (google it - should be free) that's pretty good.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    For potential malware, I'd suggest a scan with Malwarebytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org/

However, it might be your existing security software that's slowing things down - what firewall, antivirus etc. do you run?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    ah another thought - my sis had an issue just the other week - she has a dell and dell had some update software than ran in the background - what laptop is it?
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I am a bit of a geek - I tested my 50mb virgin line with a number of antivirus software - there is a big difference on download.

read up on internet about the correct settings for internet also but this should not be a problem if you are using vista onwards.

But the safe mode diffeence really points to a programme. Try the antivirus off first. The go Start - Run and type in the box "msconfig" without the "" this will enable you to see all the programmes that startup with your computer - 80% are not needed.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I downloaded Rapport software from Nat West/RBS. It had the same effect as pouring treacle into my computer and it went really really ssssslllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Removed it and it was much better. Mind you, somebody then stole my identity and bought a yacht, which I'm still paying for.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    GiantMike wrote:
    I downloaded Rapport software from Nat West/RBS. It had the same effect as pouring treacle into my computer and it went really really ssssslllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Removed it and it was much better. Mind you, somebody then stole my identity and bought a yacht, which I'm still paying for.
    It's a lovely yacht,bigger than Abramhovich's
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My experience too with Rapport. The treacle bit, not the yacht.

VM just upgraded our speed to an alleged 30 meg. Must give it a test to see what we're actually getting.

So far the only difference has been having to have their new Super Hub, the flashing LED lights on which are so bright that it looks like there's a disco going on under the desk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    I shifted to Orange and its sh1te.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I switched to Orange and its fine (better than plusnet) with a decent router thrown in.
  • kentphil
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I've run ccleaner and a malware program, but my internet speed is still only half what it should be.

Typing in msconfig in the run section lets me see what programs are run on startup, but i'm not sure which ones are needed. I'm not confident in turning off programs incase in makes my laptop unable to run properly.
    2004 Giant TCR
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    You`re lucky-Im getting posts from 2006.Lot to catch up with mind.Wait till they hear about 2008 when we all got ruined.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • kentphil
    I've found a file showing the startup apps on my laptop. Can anyone see anything suspicious?

Caption Command
    desktop desktop.ini
    desktop desktop.ini
    MsnMsgr "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    MSMSGS "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    Google Update "C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    desktop desktop.ini
    desktop desktop.ini
    Digital Line Detect C:\PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1\DLG.exe
    Windows Search C:\PROGRA~1\WI459E~1\WINDOW~1.EXE /startup
    SynTPLpr C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    SynTPEnh %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    igfxtray C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    igfxhkcmd C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    igfxpers C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    TPHOTKEY C:\PROGRA~1\Lenovo\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
    PWRMGRTR rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\PWRMGRTR.DLL,PwrMgrBkGndMonitor
    BLOG rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatLogEx.DLL,StartBattLog
    SoundMAXPnP C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    SoundMAX "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
    AVG8_TRAY C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    Message Center Plus C:\Program Files\LENOVO\Message Center Plus\MCPLaunch.exe /start

TpShocks TpShocks.exe
    TVT Scheduler Proxy C:\Program Files\Common Files\Lenovo\Scheduler\scheduler_proxy.exe
    nmctxth "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
    Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    Conime %windir%\system32\conime.exe
    EKAIO2StatusMonitor C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\EKAiO2MUI.exe
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Cleat Eastwood
    try disabling the lenovo message centre, and maybe the java updater - sometimes the java updater will download in the background.