Comfort Upgades - Suggestions Please

Dmak
Dmak Posts: 445
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
My boss has asked me to look at his old mountain bike and improve it's comfort and riding position. He's 65 and had a major back operation about 10 months back and is looking to cycle as a form of physio to give his back the little bit of abuse it really needs to strengthen.

The bike is a standard old spesh mountain bike with v brakes, I know this is the road biking forum but to me it also has the most helpful users so the thread is here.

Looking for a sprung/suspension seat post, new saddle and sprung/suspension stem. If you have any experience with these items and can recommend something, please do. Thank you! :)

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    depends what he wants to us the bike for ? xc or road ? distance and time on the bike ?
    if his had major back issues a higher rise stem and or riser bars would help...shorter stem may also be possible depending on what he has at the moment. Dont get a suspension stem...there aweful...does he have suspension forks ? their make a fair difference
    Saddles are very much personal preference tho Fiziks seem to rank highly with people for comfort.
    Suspension seatpost is a funny one tbh...desent set up will make far more difference.
    tyre larger tyres with less preasure...will mean a harder workout but will be more comfortable.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    by the time you spend money on all those bits

a nice commuter bike would be best nice and upright, big wheel diameter and so on, after all it sounds like his world cup days are over

or retro fit - this could take a while and money before it works out it might never.....

can the frame take 29" wheels (mid 90's mtb usually could)

Thudbuster seat post

widest tyres that will fit wheel/ frame (might be tight on space)

a really upright stem (if its quilled get an adjustable 1) with 1 of those curvey touring bars

and a saddle with ti rails
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    Thanks guys,

He intends to ride canal paths, easy trails and country lanes, that kinda thing.

Advice taken on the stem, I think a thudbuster sounds perfect, bit pricey but probably worth it.