Silly commuting road rage

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Seems to be an awful lot of cyclist road rage at the moment. Couple of days ago I saw two guys collide on multiple occasions as they tried to push each other out of gaps they deemed to be "theirs". Then, last night, I witnessed an argument between two guys, which ended up with one stopping at the side of the road and then trying to jump in front of the other as he came past. The gist of this argument started along the lines of "I may be breaking the law, but you're breaking it more than me" and moved onto "why are you riding a single speed, real men ride fixed". After their routes diverged, the remaining one (fixed) started shouting at me (I suspect my crime was slow filtering).

Seems like I'm seeing this sort of thing everywhere at the moment. Has the increasing number of cyclists activated everyone's anger genes, or do fair weather riders lack the zen of year-round commuters?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ha! That sounds hilarious!

Haven't seen much road rage at all recently.
  • After a while you learn to accept things won't happen the way you'd like them to on the roads, so I'd suspect it's fair weather cyclists.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Maybe it's a Richmond thing?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • You London types are a funny bunch.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Very glad I rarely see another cyclist on my 15 mile commute, certainly never any of this shenanigans when there is another rider.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    This is why I've developed the skill of effortlessly accelerating to 20 from every set of lights quicker than any nodder could dream!
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    If I get in the way of another cyclist - I say sorry (even if I am right) - they follow up with "no problem".

If a car driver looks at me in a funny way - I am offering him "out" in milliseconds :)
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    My commute is never anything but an extremely enjoyable and friendly banter-filled ride.

Honest!

If you don't believe me you can f*** off you st**id b************ c****!!! Come over 'ere & say that!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    TGOTB wrote:
    fair weather riders

Theres the issue. Tits.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    TGOTB wrote:
    "why are you riding a single speed, real men ride fixed".

TBH, that's what I think when I see people riding ss..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    jds_1981 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

TBH, that's what I think when I see people riding ss..

I ride fixed when it's a tarmac city ride, and revel in the manliness of it all, but have to admit I pinched MrsAH's singlespeed Felt T'other day and, well, f*ck me but It's fast.

I mean PROPERLY fast. You forget how much we trade the clean and connected for the ability to rest for 30 seconds and descend at 40 plus.

Not flipping anytime soon though. Be like wearing lipstick.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    TGOTB wrote:

That sounds like two transvestites arguing over who looks most like a woman.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    thiscocks wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    fair weather riders

Theres the issue. Tits.

Are you equating fair weather riders to novices??? I'm a fair weather rider in that I'll check the forecast before deciding whether to cycle (I pick my days as not fit enough to do every day). Does this somehow make me an 'issue' - even though i've been commuting between 30 and 100 miles a week, depending on weather, for many years.

What is the 'issue' with fair weather riders??
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    mrtuk wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    fair weather riders

Theres the issue. Tits.

Are you equating fair weather riders to novices??? I'm a fair weather rider in that I'll check the forecast before deciding whether to cycle (I pick my days as not fit enough to do every day). Does this somehow make me an 'issue' - even though i've been commuting between 30 and 100 miles a week, depending on weather, for many years.

You suck?

I think "fair weather rider" refers either to the types who brink out the B.S.O. only when the weather forecasts conclude with pictures of strawberries or grass tennis courts and will kill either themselves or you as a result of really having no clue whatsoever, or to the types who normally only bang chests with other members of the chain gang in a 40 mile ride at the weekend (in a giant pack) and bring out the best bike and the castelli for about 2 weeks a year and treat everyone else, including cars, as part of a chain gang on their 6 mile commute.

Cold weather is not fair weather. Therefore, if you ride in temperatures below about 5degC (even if its dry), rather than opting to bang chests with the chain gang at the spinning class (where you bring your own pedals), then you don't suck all that much.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I must say it is funny to read and even funnier that we have created an argument on the thread about what type of cyclist is at fault without knowing the circumstance.

It is not necessarily fair weather cyclist nor inexperienced that were arguing, not that either deserve any abuse for their tag.

Come to Manchester where the daily commute is shared with pleasant well mannered cyclists that smile, nod and say sorry.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    It must be a London thing, all that stress and life going at 100mph. Just chill, maaaan. 8)
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    tallmansix wrote:
    ICome to Manchester where the daily commute is shared with pleasant well mannered cyclists that smile, nod and say sorry.

....and slap each other's a*rses, don't forget the a*rse slapping man!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH wrote:
    tallmansix wrote:
    ICome to Manchester where the daily commute is shared with pleasant well mannered cyclists that smile, nod and say sorry.

Was it a slap or a failed attempt at a grope?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    mrtuk wrote:

I find that fair weather riders are touchy little bitches who get offended easily. That's the issue as far as I am concerned.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    tallmansix wrote:
    Come to Manchester where the daily commute is shared with pleasant well mannered cyclists that smile, nod and say sorry.

I used to commute in Manchester, not many would describe me as pleasant or well mannered yah git ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I find that fair weather riders are touchy little bitches who get offended easily. That's the issue as far as I am concerned.
    I think they just get spooked by the traffic. Mixing it up with cars, vans and lorries in heavy traffic can be pretty stressful if you're not used to it.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    SimonAH wrote:
    tallmansix wrote:

My thoughts exactly! Tallmansix obviously comes from somewhere south of the Mancunian Way. I don't share my daily commute with any cyclists, let alone ones that smile, nod and say sorry.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    Haha yes I am south of the Mancunian way and maybe I'm exaggerating the friendliness a bit.

I did get told off by a shaved roadie once, he fluffed his start from the lights so I passed him on the inside which he didn't like but just told me not to do it. I often get inconsiderate cyclists misusing the cycle ways in Manc which annoys me a little but I never say anything.

I save all that rage for drivers that p me off. The other day one passed me so close at a junction he was 2" from me so I banged on the car window which did the trick.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    notsoblue wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I think they just get spooked by the traffic. Mixing it up with cars, vans and lorries in heavy traffic can be pretty stressful if you're not used to it.

Agreed. My previous post was a little friendly jab at the other poster. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/