How to prevent chain dropping on 3x10 setup

King_Pin_Rich
King_Pin_Rich Posts: 111
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I'm finding I keep dropping my chain over the rough stuff on my Canyon Nerve AM. It's a Triple ring (Deore XT) setup up front.
It always drops onto the inside, usually ending up resting on the BB shell. The front shifter sometimes saves it and I can encourage it back on with a half-shift. It doesn't drop during shifting and everything is fine otherwise.

Any suggestions? The MRP XCG looks like a potential candidate but I've read that canyon frames have non ISCG mounts unless you use an adaptor (which incidentally I can't find anywhere on the website).

Ta.
Bird AM Zero (On Order :D )
Canyon Nerve AM 7.0 (stolen :evil: )
Cube Road SL

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the bottom stop screw is just off.

but why are you in the grany ring? shift to the middle and pick a bigger cog on the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Yeah on mad descents shift to the bigger rings to take up the slack, make sure your chain isn't too long and/or buy a Bionicon v2
  • Sorry should have said, I do exactly that (middle up front from and larger at rear) to try and take up some slack, still gets thrown off though.
    Cube Road SL
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    then there is not much you can do other than choose better lines.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bjj.andy.w
    bjj.andy.w Posts: 111
    How often do you use the outer ring? If you don't use it much consider replacing it with a bash guard and a Chain guide. Some thing like these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... delID=5357
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=17282
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • How often do you use the outer ring? If you don't use it much consider replacing it with a bash guard and a Chain guide. Some thing like these:
    I wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest this. Admittedly I don't use the outer an awful lot so its an idea. I've read stingers et al don't fit Canyon Nerve frames as without an adaptor the tabs aren't ISCG. Canyon make there own chain guide but theres not much information on it.
    These look interesting, looks like they would help stop annoying chain slap at least. Love the homemade version!
    Cube Road SL
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    These look interesting, looks like they would help stop annoying chain slap at least. Love the homemade version!
    Yeah, i just used an old rear reflector mount tied to the gear cable with a few bits of soft heatshrink plastic in it. It's completely stopped my chain dropping and there's a lot less chainslap now!
  • morleyman200
    morleyman200 Posts: 513
    you can buy a version of the stinger which doesn't need the tabs, its just fits in between the bottom bracket and the frame, thats what ive got, never had a problem, since i got it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    The OP wants to keep three chainrings from what i gather. Unless there's a good reason to drop the outer ring why bother?
  • Are there any Canyon Nerve owners out there with chain device/tensioners fitted?

Tempted to try the bionicon, quite pricy though.
    Cube Road SL
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Haven't got one but am tempted, as I have this issue too (also with XT triple).

Have still got a Dave's Chain Device from way back and thought about trying that, but (a) it won't fit around the chainstay and (b) <ahem> it's the wrong colour :oops:

I do remember though that whilst the DCD worked, I couldn't live with the noise and soon took it off. Any bionicon owners care to comment on the noise? annoying or not?
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike