Finished Santa Cruz Juliana build

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited June 2012 in Your mountain bikes
I bought a sad little bargain Santa Cruz Juliana off Fleabay about 5 months ago with the intention of tweaking a few bits and cheaply turning it into a (relatively!) lightweight xc / racing bike..... Ha ha :lol: Somehow this turned into a frame re-spray and complete re-build which I have only just finshed - and here she is 8)

IMGP3353.jpg

She has new Rockshox SID 100mm forks, Formula K24 Oro brakes, XT drivetrain, carbon bars & seatpost, Chris King headset - in fact the only original bits are the frame (which has changed from white to blue) and the wheels :lol:

Really REALLY pleased with how she rides - climbs beautifully, although I am noticing that the descents are a little less plush than i'm used to! A nice light bike that I really can't wait to put through her paces at the Mountain Mayhem next weekend 8)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Look really well, when are you changing the wheels and frame? :lol:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Nice little bike, missus has a Juliana and she really likes hers.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks nice!
    I know what you mean about the short travel XC bikes. Had a little car park test on my mate's XC race bike the other day (my XC bike is a 170/150mm monster), and it was scary how steep and twitchy the front end is, I really wouldn't have liked to have ridden it down anything remotely bumpy!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • miss notax
    Yep my usual trail bike is my 5 (140mm travel) and I was definitely a tad surprised when I tried to carry my usual speed down a mildly techy descent... :shock: :lol::lol:

All good fun though :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Very nice, although the green Sid stickers don't match ;)

Do you have a before pic too, to see the before and after pics?
  • miss notax
    Stav wrote:
    Very nice, although the green Sid stickers don't match ;)

Do you have a before pic too, to see the before and after pics?

Ha ha, funnily enough that's the first comment my Mum said - 'nice bike dear but the white and green thing on the front doesn't match' :lol:

Good idea! Before pic here (with arty red bucket in the corner :oops: )....

photo.jpg

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    So not exactly a cheap fixer-upper then ;)

Also, I like the cheeky VPP sticker on there :P
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Wow, a massive improvement! Still, me and your mum are right. ;)

Still, very nice bike, always likes the SC's. I wish my o/h enjoy cycling a bit more.. I bought her a Boardman FI (good spec, recons, X7 etc), but she just didn't get on with it. She's now got a dutch bike instead, which hasn't been used yet.. it's been 3 weeks.

Should have bought some bits for my bike instead. :evil:
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    My wife loves her Juliana, it's got a DT Swiss 120 fork which slackens it a bit, just fitted some new XT brakes which means it stops now as well!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • miss notax
    Thanks guys :D

The bike originally had 120mm forks and I did consider keeping that amount of travel, but in the end I decided that might make it a bit too similar to the 5.... I wanted it to feel siginificantly different if you see what I mean.

I like my bikes to have different jobs - it's basically my feeble attempt at justifying them all in my head :lol: