Specialized Secteur / Allez weight concerns.

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
My main interest is in the big head tube Secteur , im going to pay a visit to a specialized dealer and try out some of their bikes and a Roubaix for comparison if one is available. On a look at the Evans ( :roll: ) website I was shocked to read claimed weight for the both secteur & allez of 10.45 kg !! In my books that is boat anchor weight and Im so hoping that the weight stated by Evans is incorrect, as it wouldnt surprise me if that was the case. Can anybody advise me if Evans claimed weight is in the 10.45 kg ballpark or not ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    I think the stock weight of my 54cm Allez Sport 2011 is around 9.5kg.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I'll weight a standard 54 and a tricked out 52 in the morning and report back... lol
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    My totally standard 56cm, 2010 Secteur Sport is 10.3kg. Specialized are not renowned for being manufacturers of ultra light bikes, but on the plus side their build quality and durability is excellent.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't know about the Secteur - but the Allez isn't "heavy" ... ok - it's no light weight - but its a good bike for the money. IIRC the Allez is sub 10kg.

TBH - a Kilo eitherway isn't going to make the difference between an amateur and pro rider speeds ... the reduction in weight only really helps when you're at the peak of fitness and you're racing against peers at the peak of theirs ...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Never thought to weigh my 61cm Allez but to be honest (like many) I carry a lot more spare :mrgreen:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Never thought to weigh my 61cm Allez but to be honest (like many) I carry a lot more spare :mrgreen:
    It's faster downhill ....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Raffles wrote:
    ...10.45 kg !! In my books that is boat anchor weight...

Out of interest, what weight are you hoping for in a bike costing between £600 and £1,000??

I shaved about 700g off the weight of my Secteur Elite by swapping the stock wheels for RS80s and with a few other minor mods reckon the bike is about about 9.5kg...until I add 2 full water bottles and a saddle bag with multi-tool, pump, computer...then I go and sit on it and the scales go through the roof.*

*not really, I'm no chubby chump but you get my point :)
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I weighed my CAAD8 in 'ready to ride' state - pedals, saddlebag and bottle cage - and it's 9.6kg. Wouldn't surprise me if the Allez was 10kg+.

Incidentally - used my luggage scales to weigh it, using a strap around the top tube at the balance point.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    My bare 2011 Allez Sport 56cm is 9.5kg (i.e. no pedals, bottle etc.) which is the same as Evans claim for the bike.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I've done the maths.. my Allez Sport could be got to be under 7kg for about £4576.56.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    JGSI wrote:
    I've done the maths.. my Allez Sport could be got to be under 7kg for about £4576.56.
    But it won't be very quick without the wheels and chain. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I've sourced a very light chain (every 2nd link missing) and the tyres will have to be helium specific...
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Sounds about right to me. After upgrading wheels and a few other bits and pieces, my 58cm Secteur weighs in at 9.5kg ready to ride (minus water bottles!)

If you're looking at a Secteur/Roubaix, I'm guessing you're after a more comfortable ride rather than an outright race bike, so why concern yourself with the weight? Although the top end Roubaix is somewhere in the region of 7kg if you have the cash....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I suspect the problem is that the OP has read the claimed weights of some other bikes. These are usually the smallest frame size with no pedals, cages etc. and then with the weight reduced a bit to look better!
  • notlongnow
    notlongnow Posts: 176
    Is a 15 stone rider on a 7kg bike gonna be faster than a 9st rider on a 11kg bike mmmm
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I just bought a Roubaix SL3 and I love the bike to bits, it's SO comfortable. But even for 3k you get a set of 1900g wheels which I swapped for my old lightweights and it made a noticeable difference accelerating / climbing.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Oh FFS, MTFU.

In the days of steel machines, a decent top line bike weighed around 22lb, so don't fret, if it was good enough for hinault then that sort of weight should be fine for you

Is there any sort of tool that measures the equivalent loss of body weight for each lb off the bike?

It's just a hill. Get over it.