Which SID 120mm Forks?

TheJackal
TheJackal Posts: 169
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
In terms of weight and performance is there much to choose between 2011 SID WCs and RLTs?

My quandary is that I'm building up a semi-weight weenie based 120mm travel hardtail and have some WCs but they're tapered and there seem to be a lot more frames that take a straight steerer... I can get hold of some RLTs with a straight steerer but they weigh ever so slightly more.

I've looked at the WCs main competitors, XRC 100s and Durin SLs but I still favour a 120mm fork as I already have a lightweight rigid 29er and would like something with a bit more travel for when things get a bit more lairy.

And if I were to keep the WCs, can anyone come up with a list of sub-1500g frames that have oversized head tubes, either 1.5 - 1.1/8 tapered or 1.5 straight?

So far I've looked at a few, GT Zaskar Team Carbon, On-One 456 Carbon, Cannondale Flash 4... but having had a Scott Scale and not liked the front end down race geometry, am concerned that I may end up retreading the same path.

I actually prefer the classic look of the On-One 456 Ti but at over 2000g am slightly put off.

Yes, I know it's about the ride and all that but I'm not getting any younger and I'm afraid my own personal preference is for a light bike!
2012 Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 19 lbs
2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Carbon 456 would get my vote, but i'd probably stick some longer forks on it if im honest. You have your fast 29er, get yourself something bouncy and playful! Weight is not the be all and end all of bike handling.
  • TheJackal
    Thanks for that. It "was" my first choice as well but my only problem with the 456s is their low resale value. With On-One knocking out un-decaled 456s at £249 (!) they're not easy to resell, should you not use it much.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've recently bought the Sid rtl for my trek and have transformed the ride from my old fox forks mine weighing 26.5 at the mo
  • TheJackal
    I've recently bought the Sid rtl for my trek and have transformed the ride from my old fox forks mine weighing 26.5 at the mo

Did you consider the WCs?
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    With On-One knocking out un-decaled 456s at £249 (!) they're not easy to resell, should you not use it much.

So buy an undecaled one for £249 :?

That'd get my vote.

The carbon CSU is meant to be 110g lighter. Things like Xloc/Pushloc/tapered steerers eat into that advantage. All the 120mm WCs are tapered.

O-O had 120mm SID WCs for £500, which seemed very good, nearly bought some myself.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    err ... Surely buying a £250 frame and re-selling it for £100 is better than buying a £500 frame and re-selling it for £250

could maybe try Kenisis frames? Come in quite light, slightly more relaxed geom than a full on race bike, conventional shaped tubes. need to check if they can take that tapered steerer though?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 456 is a steal at that price. Even myself as die hard Zaskar fan would buy one over a Zaskar (unless they were the same price ;-))
  • TheJackal
    edited June 2012
    njee20 wrote:
    With On-One knocking out un-decaled 456s at £249 (!) they're not easy to resell, should you not use it much.

So buy an undecaled one for £249 :?

That'd get my vote.

The carbon CSU is meant to be 110g lighter. Things like Xloc/Pushloc/tapered steerers eat into that advantage. All the 120mm WCs are tapered.

O-O had 120mm SID WCs for £500, which seemed very good, nearly bought some myself.

Hmmm... only yellow left... 8) and I'm undecided over the full on "long travel" thang. I would just prefer a less race/more relaxed light hardtail frame than a Trail Centre bike that I'm only going to use once a year.

Yep. There doesn't seem to be much difference in weight between the WC and the RTL and you're right, any difference seems to be eaten up by the remote, if you use it but so far I've never had one.

I may just have to swap my WCs for some RTLs. Does anyone know if the RCT3s only come in a tapered steerer.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • TheJackal
    jairaj wrote:
    err ... Surely buying a £250 frame and re-selling it for £100 is better than buying a £500 frame and re-selling it for £250

could maybe try Kenisis frames? Come in quite light, slightly more relaxed geom than a full on race bike, conventional shaped tubes. need to check if they can take that tapered steerer though?

Thanks for the tip off about the Kinesis frames. That's an extremely good shout.

As for re-selling, my experience is that if you buy frames and components that people lust after, you tend to be able to sell it for what you paid for it. Yours may be otherwise!
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • TheJackal
    Absolutely love the Kinesis frames but alas anything taking a tapered fork doesn't take a 120mm fork!

Love the KM810 but it's only recommended for 80mm - 100mm forks. Anyone know whether running 120mm forks would invalidate the warranty? I've emailed them to that effect.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • jairaj
    The KM810? What happened to wanting something more relaxed and not racy? isn't that their race bike? :-)

could you not try something like a Hope mix and match headset to use the tapered forks on the Kenisis frame? Or add a internal spacer to the SID and reduce travel to 100mm?
  • TheJackal
    Their "more relaxed" frames are all 1.1/8" straight steerers.

The KM810 is the only tapered one.

The point of running the SID 120mm is to achieve that less racy feel/geometry.

There's got to be something in between race and long travel, that doesn't weigh a tonne, surely? Although, in a way it's quite indicative of the marketing of late.

I've done the 20lber Titanium Hardtail and I've also done the 18lber Carbon Hardtail , I just don't feel the need for a 150mm long travel bike. Like my Blur, it'll just get used once a year!

All roads seem to lead back to the 456 in either its carbon or titanium form. Either that or change the forks to say the RLTs and may be get a Ibis Tranny?
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • jairaj
    I think you might be able to use a tapered steerer on the xc130 with the correct headset. I would check what the inside diameter of the headset is. I can only find the outside diameter (50mm) on Kinesis's website. If the inside diameter is 44mm you should be able to use a Crane Creek SHIS ZS44/28.6|EC44/40 headset which should enable you to use a tapered fork.

The XC130 has the relaxed angles you are after and might even have more compliance built into the frame compared to the KM180?

Or just get the C456, its stupidly light, stupidly cheap, the slack angles become a bit more conventional with a shorter fork and it comes in bright yellow! :D (i have one)
  • TheJackal
    Sorry, jairaj I couldn't inflict a yellow one on my mates, I'm afraid! :)

I was going to get an undecaled red one but hesitated too long! They've got the black ones at £299 but so has the World and his wife!

The XC130 has a straight head tube so it's no go, I believe.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • jairaj
    As I said check with Kinesis the internal diameter of the head tube. If it is 44mm then I think you can use a SHIS EC44/40 bottom headset cup. This has an larger external cup which allows the use of tapered steerer tubes.

There is more info on the crane creek website about the headset cups they offer.
  • TheJackal
    Nope. Kinesis confirmed by email that the KM810 is the only Maxlight frame that will take a tapered steerer AND more importantly use of a 120mm fork is fine and will not invalidate the warranty.

Currently looking at other bikes' geometries and prices for the KM810. Cheapest I can find is £879.99.

I've got a couple of Tranny frames that I bought coming on Monday, so it's either I find a good deal on the KM810 or gets some RLTs or RCT3s with a straight steerer to fit one of 'em.
    2009 Ibis Tranny __ lbs
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Merlin has some great deals on Hummers at the moment. I'm running a 120 Reba ti with qr on my ti hardtail and for my weight they are flex free and butter smooth over everything. Total weight of my bike is just over 10kg so you can spend double for the sids and save some weight but a 10kg bike is still nice and light.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play