Headset woes :(

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Headset in the commuter has been making graunching noises for a couple of days and on the way home tonight I turned a corner and found the steering reluctant to come back to the straight ahead :eek:

Having recently fettled the headset and knowing that the two open cage bearings were pretty ropey I guessed one of the cages had finally disintegrated.

So popped into Halfords and bought a pack of 1 & 1/8" 'Aheadset' 22 x 5/32" ball caged bearings complete with some grease for the princely sum of £4. Got home and stripped the headset down to find pretty much a pile of dust where the bottom cage should have been. Went to fit the new bearings only to find that they are fractionally smaller internal diameter than what came out, so no way that was going to fit. Of course I'd greased everything up by then, so no taking them back. But now i have the problem of finding some properly sized replacements for the weekend :(

In the meantime, its the road bike tomorrow. Well at least it won't be raining til the evening.
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: