Recommend me a First Person Shooter game

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited September 2012 in The bottom bracket
Attention!

Your Task: Recommend me a FPS game to keep me occupied when I'm not training. The last FPS I played was Medal of Honor in 2003, but that's the kind of thing I like. I don't mind if it's not the latest game, but it must be good.

My Kit: Dell Inspiron 15R running Windows 7, Intel Core i5 with 4gb RAM and a 1gb graphics card.

As you were!

Comments

• nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Deus Ex for something a bit different.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Forget that computer game crap. Buy a multi shot air pistol and take a stroll through your local school.
  • GiantMike
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Forget that computer game crap. Buy a multi shot air pistol and take a stroll through your local school.

I've been banned from my local schools. That's why I'm after a computer game :shock:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Go retro and tightwad and download Marathon 1, 2 and 3 for nowt.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    David Cameron - well he's teh first person I'd shoot. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Russian Roulette. Or alternatively tell the Mrs you ve just clicked the button on a £2 k bike.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    "1GB graphics card".

Doesn't tell us anything useful. What card do you have?

If you have the grunt - BF3 is first class.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Any of the recent Modern Warefare games, Bioshock 1 & 2, any of the Half Life 2 games, Left 4 Dead, Medal of Honour Black ops... There have been a load of good ones. If you like a bit of RPG mixed in the any of the STALKER trilogy are good, RAGE, Boarderlands, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are excellent.

Cycling is my good hobby, it balances out the sitting on my arse playing pc games and eating haribo.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    GiantMike wrote:
    Attention!

Your Task: Recommend me a FPS game to keep me occupied when I'm not training. The last FPS I played was Medal of Honor in 2003, but that's the kind of thing I like. I don't mind if it's not the latest game, but it must be good.

My Kit: Dell Inspiron 15R running Windows 7, Intel Core i5 with 4gb RAM and a 1gb graphics card.

As you were!

You don't have the horsepower.. go buy an xbox.

Have a look at something like Minecraft which you will have the specs to run... its not an FPS but its a lot of fun.
  • GiantMike
    Daz555 wrote:
    "1GB graphics card".

Doesn't tell us anything useful. What card do you have?

If you have the grunt - BF3 is first class.

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Processor: Core i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz
    Windows Experience Rating: 4.7 (3D gaming graphics performance 6.6)

Quick enough for modern games, or should I be sticking with something a little older??
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    My laptop has a similar spec - a tad more grunt, but not much more - and I can run Skyrim with a lot of mods on high settings and get a reasonable frame rate. Skyrim on pc suffers from a bad case of consolitis, but it's still a great game (fps = first person slash 'em up in this case). If you want something a little older, try Fallout 3 or Bioshock. Half Life 2 is the best game ever made, so if you haven't played that then get the Orange box and enjoy!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Yup... Half Life 2
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    nathancom wrote:
    Deus Ex for something a bit different.
    duex-ex-mention-jpg.6090
  • All of valves source engine based games will run fine on that. All the games I mentioned I played using a Radeon HD3850. What resolution is your screen?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • GiantMike
    Right, thanks guys.

Half Life 2 on order from Amazon tonight (unless somebody has a cheap copy they want to get rid of).
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    download Steam and just buy the game digitally!
  • Have just checked your graphics card here:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-gr ... 442-7.html

It is a bit weedy, but you should still have no problem with Half Life 2. Make sure you get the Orange Box, you get a load of games with that and I bet it's cheap on steam.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • GiantMike
    Have just checked your graphics card here:-

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-gr ... 442-7.html

It is a bit weedy, but you should still have no problem with Half Life 2. Make sure you get the Orange Box, you get a load of games with that and I bet it's cheap on steam.

Thanks.

OB $19.99 on Steam. That's my Winter sorted out (and the rainy summer too)
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    I've got the same card, half-life 2 definitely works fine, I'd be interested to see what it could manage. Others have mentioned the orange box: for a little more, you get episodes 1 and 2, team fortress 2 and portal (my personal fave). Left 4 dead 2 runs on the same engine and along with team fortress is excellent mutliplayer.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    nweststeyn wrote:
    download Steam and just buy the game digitally!

I once made the mistake of buying analogue. The framerate was terrible.

callbull1.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Bit old but very addicitve - Quake 2 and guaranteed your processor will handle it.

Bit more older - Missile Command, Meteors, Worms, Pong all downloadable!!

Do not buy Far Cry 2 unless you have to of course. Its OK and some of the scenery is interesting, great sniper rifles in it though :D

Anyone remember Redneck Rampage ?!!

Loved the GTA series, Vice City and especially San Andreas. Alternatively, buy a set of rollers; you can have curly hair !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I still play COD2 online, the guys playing it on the UN server are really good.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Keep up Cleat, welshbloke, flatlander...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    World of Tanks (free to play unless you get carried out away and become pro) or Planetside2 (almost at Beta, and will be the most awesome game ever)
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • GiantMike
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Completed Call of Duty 2. Quite enjoyed it.

About 30% of the way through Half Life 2. Really really good and engaging. Looking forward to the rest of the series within the Orange Box.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I'm playing Arma 2 at the moment but that said it's a 'realistic' shooter, but I find it a lot of fun especially with the DayZ mod. You can actually download a limited version of Arma 2 from the game's official website if you fancy giving it a whirl, but because it's free you can't do the campaign, nor can you have high res textures or use mods.

http://www.arma2.com/free

Perfectly legal download, not warez etc - Bohemia Interactive must have thought it would bring in extra buyers of the game, and it did :P
  • Kal85
    Kal85 Posts: 17
    I've been playing black ops multiplayer for months now. Very addictive! Should try it
  • Americas Army. It's hard. Well, it is if you're old, like me. World of Tanks is good, but expensive if you want to be really up there. Free if you just want to get blown up, like me.

If you want something a bit different(yes, it's not a FPS), and very long term, try Eve Online.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Team Fortress two.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    cs 1.6

Or if you must, quake live.