Project Shinji...

bikaholic
bikaholic Posts: 350
edited June 2012 in Your mountain bikes
aka Gary Fisher HKEK (2007) - Subaru Team Sponsor Frame:

gf_hkek_subaru_frame_01.jpg

gf_hkek_subaru_frame_02.jpg

I like looped cable routing, so the US/Euro-centric frame design was modified by drilling out the driveside cablestop pair:

gf_hkek_subaru_frame_04.jpg

Comments

• bikaholic
    edited June 2012
    The spreadsheet:

gf_hkek_subaru_spreadsheet-1.jpg
  • Soft spot for Fishers! Looking forward to seeing this :)
  • bikaholic
    The most troublesome part of this particular build was the Avid Elixir R brakes. Leaks at the crimped end of the hoses meant that replacements were needed from my spares box.

Three super expert bleeds (one front, two rear) were needed to bring them to good working order - the TaperBore lever design still traps air as the the bleed port is not at the highest point.
  • Nice mate :D love the blue/silver. What are the forks like? (when i was into my MTB's years ago magura only made hydro brakes (not disks!).

Thanks.
  • bikaholic
    The forks are decent. They did have an initial stinction (like lockout with blow off) at the very top when the stanchions were unloaded but I stripped them down, polished some of the bits and reassembled them with my own mixture of grease and oil at strategic places. They now ride a bit like a RockShox Reba/Sid, that is, very smooth, supple and responsive.

BTW, BITD, I owned every model of the Maggies hydraulic rim brakes: HS11, 22, 33 and the elusive HS66 road levers.

In fact, I still run the HS33 (originally neon yellow, now resprayed Sid blue).
  • mastermosher
    mastermosher Posts: 233
    Hi,
    Nice build. Always thought that there was something special and different about gary Fisher bikes.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • Great job! I really like how you have it looking almost like the original! Im not a fan of the grey personally, but it really suits this build perfectly!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    bikaholic wrote:
    the TaperBore lever design still traps air as the the bleed port is not at the highest point.
    Weird. Never had a problem like that when i've bled these brakes before.