Tentative new Wiggins thread (gulp)

ratsbeyfus
ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Ummm, I found an interesting article that I though I'd share with others...eek.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,16299_7809986,00.html

Basically outlines a visit by Sky to TDF organisers ASO in Paris:
The presentation was to explain Wiggins' performances. Using his medical data and the performance data accumulated by Tim Kerrison, the sports scientist who has been working with him since October 2010, they sought to reassure ASO that it has all been done legally, and that if Wiggins is in yellow, they won't get any nasty surprises, a la Floyd Landis in 2006, Michael Rasmussen in 2007, or Alberto Contador in 2010.

It also answered a question that I posed in the (whispers) other Wiggins' thread... has anyone ever accused Brailsford of using dodgyness to get track successes? Seems that the Italians did, but no evidence is mentioned:
A very similar atmosphere prevailed in the run-up to the Beijing Olympics, when Britain's track cyclists began to dominate. It started in 2007 at the world championships in Palma, where rumours swirled, and there was a direct accusation, emanating from the Italian camp, that a systematic doping programme was behind the British success.

Really not trying to create a HNMDSFT* here, just linking to an interesting article written by a respected cycling journo (blah blah blah Murdoch, blah blah blah, conspiracy stuff aside).

Retreats slowly... walking backwards from thread... may pop in later to see that everyone is being nice...

*Hincapieesque-Nuclear-Melt-Down-Swear-Fest-Thread

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    You've actually started a sky/Wiggins thread that's explicitly about doping (possible absence of)?

That's no fun. It'll be like a Cav win thread. You'd get far more replies if you started a thread about Coppi that you managed to squeeze this news into.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ratsbeyfus
    Ooops.. didn't see the other thread... tbh I've barely slept a wink since dipping into the Hincapie thread last night... I'll try to pay more attention... sorry.

@ratsbey
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    wiggins is definitely a doper - just sayin'.....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This thread's so 2 hours ago
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Bigger fish to fry now.
  • ratsbeyfus
    I know... I'm gonna do my utmost to get it locked. hmmmm...

Hands up if you think this guy looks like a wally?

1246871495529-1nb2cirq5c2rt-670-70.jpg

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus

Bigger fish to fry now.

Poor Twiggy... just his luck... he'll win the Tour riding clean amongst this enormous sh!tstorm... and bloody Tom Daley will walk off with SPOTY for getting bronze and crying about it or summat...

@ratsbey
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Ummm, I found an interesting article that I though I'd share with others...eek.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,16299_7809986,00.html
    Scepticism is healthier than blind faith. And, frankly, if the Tour winner was not asked about doping, journalists would not be doing their job.
    Why, that is practically accusing Sky of doping. Burn the heretic! Lock the thread!
  • ratsbeyfus
    youre_barred.jpg

@ratsbey
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    I know... I'm gonna do my utmost to get it locked. hmmmm...

Hands up if you think this guy looks like a wally?

1246871495529-1nb2cirq5c2rt-670-70.jpg

:lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    Boy am I glad to find a fellow rodent that gets my visual gags... I'm taking a real beating over in the Lance thread...

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Boy am I glad to find a fellow rodent that gets my visual gags... I'm taking a real beating over in the Lance thread...

Yeah, but your graph got quoted about 20 times....!

I <3 cleats ?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

Yeah, but your graph got quoted about 20 times....!

I <3 cleats ?

Grumph.

@ratsbey
  • ratsbeyfus
    Just discovered that Olympic TT competitors have to take part in the road race... can anyone explain why?

@ratsbey
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Just discovered that Olympic TT competitors have to take part in the road race... can anyone explain why?

No. There's no good reason. Similar rules in track I believe, but can't remember which disciplines.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

No. There's no good reason. Similar rules in track I believe, but can't remember which disciplines.

There is a reason. Whether it is good or not is a different matter.

Each sport is given an allocation by the IOC of how many medals and competitors they can have per games. The doubling-up helps with this, otherwise they would have to reduce the size or number of teams in the road race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    RichN95 wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:

There is a reason. Whether it is good or not is a different matter.

Each sport is given an allocation by the IOC of how many medals and competitors they can have per games. The doubling-up helps with this, otherwise they would have to reduce the size or number of teams in the road race.

Thanks. Separate Olympic themed question. Apart from the road race, can anyone think of any other event where the winner gets a medal but his/her teamates get no trinkets (assuming they don't finish second or third)? Seems pretty harsh.

@ratsbey
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Potentially the triathlon. GB have selected one man and 2 ladies purely to act as domestiques for the favourites. Canada did the same in Beijing and Simon Whitfield took silver.
  • ratsbeyfus
    Potentially the triathlon. GB have selected one man and 2 ladies purely to act as domestiques for the favourites. Canada did the same in Beijing and Simon Whitfield took silver.

Yeah, but triathlon's not really a sport. I mean you can get penalised for being messy... that puts it in the same league as ice dance.

Any others?

@ratsbey