Lucky escape...

js14
js14 Posts: 198
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I crashed ten days ago during a 150km "randonnée": no-one saw the accident but a following group of cyclists were quickly on the scene helping me. I reckon I got off lightly because I suffered only mild concussion and some nasty grazing even though my Garmin tells me that I was travelling at 40km/h. The brake levers are a bit scratched but probably only the rubber hoods need replacing and the rest of the bike seems OK. Where it gets expensive is the clothing: my Specialized helmet did its job well but will have to be replaced, jersey and Rapha merino base layer ripped at the shoulder, knee warmers with matching holes and the new Gore gloves ripped at the knuckles: not far short of £200 in replacement costs. As I said it could have been worse so I can accept the material damage in good grace.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why would you replace the base layer rather than just repair it? Not as though anyone would see it.

And, if you haven't already, in future get hydrocolloid patches for grazing - heals them up extra quick and no scarring!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    Thanks for the hydrocolloid suggestion; I'll see if I can find some for the next time (I hope not!).

The damaged area in base layer is about 8 cm x 9 cm in the shoulder with 3/4 of the material missing. Merino stuff is too fine to be covered by Rapha's crash repair guarantee, so unless I can find someone with better sewing skills than Rapha's workforce, I think I will need to get a new one. I might try one from Tørm instead.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    JS14 wrote:
    Thanks for the hydrocolloid suggestion; I'll see if I can find some for the next time (I hope not!).

The damaged area in base layer is about 8 cm x 9 cm in the shoulder with 3/4 of the material missing. Merino stuff is too fine to be covered by Rapha's crash repair guarantee, so unless I can find someone with better sewing skills than Rapha's workforce, I think I will need to get a new one. I might try one from Tørm instead.
    Do you know this, or just think it?
    Might be worth asking if you haven't already.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    What he said ^

Rapha do definitely offer the service that their price indicates they should!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Ahh yes, I remember now.

Stick it back together with blu-tac and super glue?