Auto Trader - Knobs

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Why on earth do you get knobs on Auto Trader listing their cars with £75.00 as the selling price, only for it to appear in the listing you've searched for specifying the search amount from/to and when you open it they've put somewhere in the listing something along the lines of 'Sorry the price is £750.00!!'

Example
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

or £185.00 as the selling price and when you open it they say something along the lines of 'THE PRICE IS 1850!!

Example

What is wrong with some people? If they can lie about that, then who is going to trust them enough to buy a used car off them? :?

Rant over...

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    They do it to lure in tightwads that think they are going to get a bargain.
    Did you really think that you would get that car for £75.00?

Car dealers are as bad. I once contacted Merecedes about an S-Class that they were wanting £0.00 for.
    Never heard back funny enough :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Soni wrote:
    Why on earth do you get knobs on Auto Trader listing their cars with £75.00 as the selling price, only for it to appear in the listing you've searched for specifying the search amount from/to and when you open it they've put somewhere in the listing something along the lines of 'Sorry the price is £750.00!!'

Example

or £185.00 as the selling price and when you open it they say something along the lines of 'THE PRICE IS 1850!!

Example

What is wrong with some people? If they can lie about that, then who is going to trust them enough to buy a used car off them? :?

Rant over...

cheaper to list at a reduced cost ?...I'm guessing so :shock:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Shouldn't a car cost more than your bike?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Soni
    team47b wrote:

How true! :D
  • Soni
    daviesee wrote:
    They do it to lure in tightwads that think they are going to get a bargain.
    Did you really think that you would get that car for £75.00?

Car dealers are as bad. I once contacted Merecedes about an S-Class that they were wanting £0.00 for.
    Never heard back funny enough :wink:

But surely they realise that wannabe buyers are going to realise what they are up to and therefore not trust them to buy the car.
  • Soni
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Soni wrote:

Example

Example

Rant over...

cheaper to list at a reduced cost ?...I'm guessing so :shock:

Surely Autotrader would monitor it and realise...
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    the lower categories are cheaper to place ads as autotrader ran a few blanket emails out recently offering cheap adverts for bargain cars (usually under £1,000). If I see something like that ie £599 advertised and then "sorry price is £5999 but autotrader wont let me change it" I just think tight **** and look at the next one.

Anything under £500 doesnt appear when I search as I was sick of dealership ads advertising £99 to £499 which turned out to be the monthly payment on one of their finance plans
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Soni wrote:
    But surely they realise that wannabe buyers are going to realise what they are up to and therefore not trust them to buy the car.
    You would think so but don't underestimate the stupidity of some.
    "Here's a nice wee car I found. Outside our budget but looks good....." and hooked.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    team47b wrote:

Not in my house!

You've got to get your priorities right.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    team47b wrote:

No. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...on the other hand you don't get to buy Rapha with a car.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    team47b wrote:

No. :D

Damn well said Frank

Even my winter bike cost more than my car!! :)

Maybe some put the price low as a "mistake" to put it at the top of the list when people do a search on the Autotrader website. Default sort option is price low - high isnt it??
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mm good point :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    team47b wrote:

One of my friends once spent more on a rear mech than his car (it was a very nice rear mech, ceramic bushes, nice and shiny, mmmmmm)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    natrix wrote:
    team47b wrote:

One of my friends once spent more on a rear mech than his car (it was a very nice rear mech, ceramic bushes, nice and shiny, mmmmmm)

Di2 per-chance :shock: :oops:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Hope this rain doesn't bugger the thing up then...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Soni
    natrix wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Now that is taking the **** :D
  • Maybe some put the price low as a "mistake" to put it at the top of the list when people do a search on the Autotrader website. Default sort option is price low - high isnt it??

it's exactly this reason - same as naming your company "Aardvark Plumbing" or "AAA Cabs" - it's so their advert appears first.

ps - don't trust AAA Cabs, they are run by scousers..... ba boom chaaaa :)
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    It's a shame they don't have a similar system to Ebay, where you could report a fraudulent listing.

I would think that Autotrader can't like it either as they are losing revenue from the ads, if it is as someone else mentioned, cheaper to put in a lower price advert.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Soni
    I don't think its going to do Auto Traders reputation much good either.......as eventually people are going to get fed up with it and once a few start doing it more will do it.....
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    natrix wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Probably had a sh!t car too
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Personally i hate the AT website, far too many adverts and so slow.