Anyone used a Casco Viper MX lid

madjakmclaferty
madjakmclaferty Posts: 11
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I've looked at all the usual stuff like Xens, Fox Flux, 661 Recon, POC and came across this but very little info on anyone using them.

I mainly do XC and Trail but was wandering if this would be a good alternative, whip the chin guard off for XC days and back on for the downhill bits?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/casco-viper

I have a Met Parachute which is a similar kind of thing but it's not suitable for DH the chin piece is more of a psychological prop than anything else. Although the chin piece is removable it's a faff to do it on the trails

Cratoni also make some slightly more gnar ff helmets with a removable chin piece mightbe worth a look
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hated it when I first tried it.

and for the good the chin cover offeres you would be better off without it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • OK thanks guys, I recon I'll go with the Flux or Recon. Would be interseted to try one but not worth splashing the cash first.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    If you really want something like that, the best (and to my knowledge, only) option is always going to be the Specialized deviant.

To be honest, after all these years, I still can't believe nobody else has come up with something to compete.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I really don't see the point in this style of helmet, they won't give any more protection than a normal helmet plus they have that extra lump of plastic to mash in to your face.
    If you want a full face helmet then get a full face helmet