Who likes reading sci-fi fantasy books?

kitten2010
kitten2010 Posts: 211
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone here like reading anything other than bike books.

If so I have a quick favour to ask I am in a competition for a short story comp. The one with the most downloads wins. You need to download 'Ether books' which is free on iPhone and then can find my story 'tock tick' by lucy bridge under the sci-fi fantasy section.

If anyone could download and let me know what they think of it I would be so so so so grateful

Many thanks

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I like sci-fi but I don't have an iPhone. Does that make me a bad nerd?
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    johnfinch wrote:

Er, me too. Any alternative?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    kitten2010 wrote:
    Does anyone here like reading anything other than bike books.

Me me me
    kitten2010 wrote:
    If so I have a quick favour to ask I am in a competition for a short story comp. The one with the most downloads wins. You need to download 'Ether books' which is free on iPhone and then can find my story 'tock tick' by lucy bridge under the sci-fi fantasy section.

If anyone could download and let me know what they think of it I would be so so so so grateful

Many thanks

not me, not me, not me.

The older I get, the better I was.

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

Er, me too. Any alternative?

+1
  • kitten2010
    has to be an iphone which is a bit pants!!! thanks for replying though guys
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    johnfinch wrote:

Probably not as the iphone is more of a fashion thing rather than a nerds device isn't it?

OP you'll have to add me to the would be interested but don't have an iphone list.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Just post it on here, or link to it. No one has any intention of doing the i-phone thing (or can't) so you're not losing any customers.

I'm looking forward to reading it. A lot.
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    Meh. Sci-fi fantasy yes. Apple no.
  • waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    I like sci fi books, however also a fail in the iphone dept!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I don't have an iphone or a penchant for sci-fi fantasy, never read a cycling book either :oops:

Post a link and I will read it though.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Well it's short ;)

In all seriousness, it's not bad, some issues with the grammar but nothing dreadful. Some of the words you've used seem a little out of place as if you were trying to use "clever" words. Just the odd one or two and you actually stopped doing it after the first chapter. The later stuff seemed much more natural and read more easily.

I'd have preferred to see a name for the "beings" rather than that word but that's just me.

I read a lot of Scifi and fantasy books and have at least 1000 in the house including on the kindle. I know what I like but am not always able to explain why I like it. Please don't take my criticism badly, I hope it will help, overall I like what you've done.

Regards, Rob.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i see ether books offer a fast track membership fee of 25 squid. This sort of vanity publishing is a rip off - why not make your own e-book to sell on amazons kindle (if you make it big dont forget my 10% advisers fee) :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kitten2010
    Well it's short ;)

In all seriousness, it's not bad, some issues with the grammar but nothing dreadful. Some of the words you've used seem a little out of place as if you were trying to use "clever" words. Just the odd one or two and you actually stopped doing it after the first chapter. The later stuff seemed much more natural and read more easily.

I'd have preferred to see a name for the "beings" rather than that word but that's just me.

I read a lot of Scifi and fantasy books and have at least 1000 in the house including on the kindle. I know what I like but am not always able to explain why I like it. Please don't take my criticism badly, I hope it will help, overall I like what you've done.

Regards, Rob.

Hiya

Thanks for downloading and for the feedback. I do see what you mean with the first section and a couple of people have said i may have over described. Also agree with the beings comment as have had a few differences of opinion as to what they are but hey at least that lad to debate.. Glad you liked it though and thanks again.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Arthur C Clarke, Rondezvous with Rama. A+
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I like stanislav lem. He wrote solaris.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Iain M Banks is good.

Also C J Cherryh's Merchanter's universe.